Slant 6/ What's old is new again..

Thanks for the memories. I dream about my dad's 1972 Dodge Dart with the 225 cu in slant six engine which was so easy to work on.

Originally Posted by anndel
Thanks for the memories. I dream about my dad's 1972 Dodge Dart with the 225 cu in slant six engine which was so easy to work on.
and it needed to be easy to work on in the days of points and carburetors...lol

Job

The Chrysler slant six was one of the best engines of the 60's. Peugeot also had a slant four in their 404 that was used to unbelievably high mileages.

Had 1976 Plymouth Duster I bought used from a junkyard back when older, but decent, used cars could be had for $300, which is about what I paid. Anyway, I never changed or added oil to it until the day it seized up. So I dumped a few quarts in, turn the engine over a coupe turns with a breaker bar, it started up and ran fine from then on until I sold or junked it, I think i junked it..

My Sister had a 1964 Dart with the slant 6. That thing ran forever. She was a car killer but couldn't kill that one.

I think that the reason why carmakers are going with straight 6 is that it can be modular and save them money, you may see a straight 7 or 8 in the future. All they have to do is add another cylinder and check the balance

Last edited:

beanoil

Originally Posted by Pelican
I think that the reason why carmakers are going with straight 6 is that it can be modular and save them money, you may see a straight 7 or 8 in the future. All they have to do is add another cylinder and check the balance
I posted the link thinking about growing up, and the Dart we had with the 6. Smooth, ran forever, had a cartridge filter, and the proverbial Valvoline All Climate 10w40. 7 or 8 in a row would be l o n g but maybe.... A straight 6 would be very cool now, length could be kept down if the original configuration of offset water pump was kept, and electric fans on the radiator pushing air through from the front. Port injection, common fuel rail along the cylinder head, tuned intake runners, all possible and simple in design. If turbo charged like article suggests, with intake and exhaust on the same side, a one piece casting for intake/exhaust/turbo is easily possible. Probably need 6 head bolts per cylinder though, Ford tried 4 on the 6.0, no good. No turbo lag, and what, 350HP?

I had a slant 6 in my Dodge AT4. Not so good in the aussie Chrysler Valiant - being right hand drive, the plugs and dist, oil filter were hard to get at with steering boxes and brake boosters in the way. Steel pipes arounf the engine and the spin on filter was on the left side of the engine and easy to get at. More room in the AT4, so the filter was in the original location.

Originally Posted by philipp10
Actually, compared to an upright 6, points and plugs were a PITN. They were on the lower side and the first deep reach plugs I dealt with. IIRC I removed the distributor to change the points because I was scared that I'd drop the tiny screws holding them in. Bugs were waaay easier. grin2

Last edited:
I had a Dodge Aspen with a slant 6. Paid almost nothing for it and sold it after hitting a deer and I never fixed it. That car ran great but was not a pretty car.

They had issues with air/fuel distribution back in the days of the buick 8.

Originally Posted by andyd
Originally Posted by philipp10
Actually, compared to an upright 6, points and plugs were a PITN. They were on the lower side and the first deep reach plugs I dealt with. IIRC I removed the distributor to change the points because I was scared that I'd drop the tiny screws holding them in. Bugs were waaay easier. grin2
Anndel, did your '72 have points? I thought that was the first year for Chrysler's electronic ignition. GM and Ford were a couple of years later.
Originally Posted by Silk
I had a slant 6 in my Dodge AT4. Not so good in the aussie Chrysler Valiant - being right hand drive, the plugs and dist, oil filter were hard to get at with steering boxes and brake boosters in the way. Steel pipes arounf the engine and the spin on filter was on the left side of the engine and easy to get at. More room in the AT4, so the filter was in the original location.
Similar to this? (Spotted in Whangerei in 2003.)

102_0232.JPG

Originally Posted by eljefino
They had issues with air/fuel distribution back in the days of the buick 8.
I'd heard that it was difficult to get enough torsional strength in a long crankshaft, and that had doomed the inline-6.