SL, SM oils, and good old STP! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been poking around the 'net a bit and speaking to some different oil company techs about the SL rated oils, and the soon to be SM rated ones.

The SL's which we currently use are supposed to have better deposit control at higher temperatures. No one--and I do mean no one--can say just how much higher the temperatures can get with SL (than with SJ) and still provide "good" (whatever "good" is considered to be) deposit control.
rolleyes.gif

But that's not what I wanted to talk about...
blush.gif
grin.gif

Anyway, the 'round the corner SM oils are being formulated to take even more of the zinc and phosphorous out. (This according to the Shell/Pennzoil tech I spoke to this morning). Other stuff will replace the ZDDP for anti-wear duties. Probably more moly...

Anyway, I have done some checking into the STP product. It's often maligned, but in most cases unjustly--I would think. The formula is tested extensively in all oils (syn included) and is compatible with the oil for any gasoline powered engine--old or new. The do not recommend it for diesels. Not sure why that is...

It would seem that the majority of horror stories regarding STP are from folks who over-used the product. Some have been known to just "add a bottle" of STP when the oil level drops by half a quart. Pretty soon, STP is all you've got. And the viscosity of the blue bottle STP product is 500 cst at 100C. The 4 cylinder forumula (red bottle) is a 200 cst version.

I was told that one 15 ounce bottle of STP into 4 to 5 quarts of 20W50 motor oil would change the viscosity to an approximate 25W70. The guy I spoke to at STP said the engineers had provided that info, and he didn't know why the winter weight came up only 5 points while the hot oil weight went up 20 notches.

Anyway, that's certainly on the thick side. Probably too thick for many engines. I'm thinking about 2 ounces per quart of oil would make around 25W "heavy" 50 or something such. I'm not as concerned about raising the viscosity as I am replenishing the ZDDP which is systematically being removed from our oils (all in the name of environmentalist-wacko-ism for the most part).

It might also be interesting to see how much the 4 cylinder version of the STP (the 200cst) stuff would raise viscosity. The STP tech guy didn't have that info.

I'm currently not finding a lot (if anything) wrong with boosting an oil's shear stability (which the increased viscosity should do) and at the same time putting back some of the barrier additives that have been proven to work for years.

Upset the oil chemistry?

Would this necessarily always be true?

The addition of STP to whatever oil you're using does not void any manufacturer's warranties. That begs the question "How bad could it actually be?"

And to the oft asked question "Why don't the big oil companies, who spend literally millions on their product R&D, put such an additive into their oils?"

The answer may be, in this age of an EPA run amock, "they can't."
wink.gif

Dan

[ March 02, 2005, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: fuel tanker man ]

Search out the VOA on Synpower Oil Treatment. I think you will find it is a very worthwhile additive.

Hey, I have two bottles of STP 6000 Mile Oil Extender (15 oz each, discontinued several years back). It is not thick like regular STP and it says on the back that it contains ZDDP. Yummy. I would sell it to you. I paid $4 a bottle. Shipping makes it not worth it though. If you are ever in Detroit we can do the deal.

What about stp newer vehicle formula thats in a black bottle? I dont know if its still avalible, but it's thinner then the other two stp products in the blue and red bottle's.

offtopic.gif
STP used to be THE traction compound for foam slot car tires. It would make those babies stick like you wouldn't believe. Every four or five months the tracks would have to be closed down and solvent cleaned, then the process would start over.
grin.gif

While you may be increasing your ZDDP, IIRC, you'll also be adding a good dose of polymeric viscosity improvers which will shear and degrade pretty reliably.

Valvoline SynPower oil treatment may be a better solution.

The Valvoline SynPower may indeed be a better solution. The VOA here looks great.

The Valvoline tech told me that it would not significantly increase viscosity, for what that's worth.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
The Valvoline tech told me that it would not significantly increase viscosity, for what that's worth.

It is listed at 100 cSt, but my theory is that it mixes into the oil and behaves differently. Pick up a bottle in the store and shake it. First 1 or 2 shakes it is pretty thick, but then it loosens up. Neat stuff.

ZDDP is not a miracle product. It has two attributes...it works well and is cheap. Other products do the same job but cost pennies per quart more. The phosphorus does eventually lead to catcon failure.

Don't buy STP or anything similar. It's only real benefit is to thicken oil. For no added cost, you can buy thicker oil if that's what you need. The oil has all the antiwear stuff you need. If you'd like more & better antiwear, use an oil like Schaeffer's where all the products in the oil are picked and proportioned to work together the best.

Ken

Ken,

I think you're right--as far as buying thicker oil if that's what's needed.

My situation is I'm using a 20W50, and the manufacturer calls for a 20W50. I don't have any other real good options this side of 4 dollars per quart. I drain at 2500 miles, so the better syns aren't cost effective for me here.

But to thicken a 30 or 40 weight oil wouldn't be prudent, as you say.

I currently have a case of SL rated 20W50 Havoline, and I'll give that a try without any STP since it has around 1000 ppm of zinc and phos.

I'm more or less thinking that when the SM oils come out that a ZDDP additive might be helpful in an engine where there is no catalytic converter to be concerned about.

'Course the SM oils may have plenty of moly to offset the lack of ZDDP, and this may make the need for zinc/phos non-existent.

This all said, I think it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Valvoline--for whatever reason--believes that ZDDP is still a good thing; they include plenty of it along with a boat load of moly in the SynPower oil treatment.

If ZDDP can be added to an SL/SM oil without screwing with the oil's ability to lubricate (which I think is likely plausible; I'm buying less and less into the notion that a shot of the proper additive in a good base is going to hurt anything) then I think that'll be an option for high performance older type engines as well as certain motorcycle engines.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
If ZDDP can be added to an SL/SM oil without screwing with the oil's ability to lubricate (which I think is likely plausible; I'm buying less and less into the notion that a shot of the proper additive in a good base is going to hurt anything) then I think that'll be an option for high performance older type engines as well as certain motorcycle engines.

Dan

MolaKule's company has an additive to do just that. I think it is SX-UP and increase the additive levels to that of an SH oil for older cars, but you get all the benefits of your modern oil it is added to. Pricey but probably one of the best products available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back