Six Generation Accords any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am helping my niece who is looking for a car for college. She mentioned that there was a 2001 Accord 2 door nearby that was low mileage and rust free. It is a 4 cylinder with a 4 speed auto. I think it has around 60k miles on the clock.

Did this generation of Accord have any issues that should make her steer clear of the car?

Thank you

I personally know someone with a 2001 and a 4 cyl. She bought it new, did all the maintenance when it was required and the transmission bit the dust at 80,000 mi. I wouldn't spend my money on this car.

Sadly, yes, that generation had lousy transmissions in both 4 and 6 cylinder. There are some that last a bit longer though as always.

Honestly in a car thats anywhere from a 1998-2002 i couldnt care less if the transmission sucks. Those cars can easily be picked up cheap and transmissions can be rebuilt or replaced. Those cars are pretty darn good minus the transmission, ive ridden in some as of lately and Ive been very impressed with how well they still function.

94-97 were the best, the last Accords built in Japan. 04+ are good.

Check the vin with Honda, it may have been replaced. If not even at only 60,000 miles you're playing roulette. Very frequent fluid changes can save you from early death. I'd say if the transmission has had two services done you're probably dealing a transmission that would be as reliable as most other brand 4cyl sedans from 2001.

I have an 02 auto with the 4cyl. It's a good car. No major problems except the trans. I have 150,000 and it has been replaced once already and now this one is starting to go. Also the airbags have a recall. Other than that check for rust around wheel wells. The 4cyl is nice because most things are is easy to get to. Also check the subframe where the ac drain comes out. Sometimes they rust out and then you need a new subframe. The timing belt will need replacement just because of age. Can't think of anything else besides normal maintainence.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
94-97 were the best, the last Accords built in Japan. 04+ are good.

I had 94 accord and put 415,xxx km on it with an automatic and had no problems. The only issue was a hairline crack in the engine block near the exhaust manifold. Removing the bolt from the manifold to the block slowed the leak right down. There was a recall for it.

My buddy had a 94 accord with a 5spd and put close to 600,000 km before he dumped it. His original clutch lasted over 400,000km. I would look for 94-97 they are solid cars.

Isn't this the generation of Accord that had that weird brake rotor design where you have to take the entire wheel bearing out and unbolt the rotor from behind to remove it? If so, that would give me pause.

treat the transmission well, and it will be an excellent car. 30k fluid changes. the 98-02 accords are like cockroaches, just like all accords before it.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
treat the transmission well, and it will be an excellent car. 30k fluid changes. the 98-02 accords are like cockroaches, just like all accords before it.

I'm not sure how a car with a reputation for pooping its transmission is like a cockroach
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I'm not sure how a car with a reputation for pooping its transmission is like a cockroach
21.gif

because its the uncommon v6 that has the main transmission issue, the 4 bangers do fail but nowhere to the v6 degree.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

21.gif

because its the uncommon v6 that has the main transmission issue, the 4 bangers do fail but nowhere to the v6 degree.

Does the same generation Camry have the issue? I know the previous gen Accord doesn't, which, IMHO, makes it the benchmark here. A car with the potential expense of a transmission replacement worth more than the car negates any semblance of a reliability relationship with its predecessor
wink.gif

JMHO of course but that would be a deal breaker to me.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Isn't this the generation of Accord that had that weird brake rotor design where you have to take the entire wheel bearing out and unbolt the rotor from behind to remove it? If so, that would give me pause.

Would me too. If that is true, plus the transmission... I'd probably skip, unless if it was a steal, and I didn't mind the cost of a replacement transmission. Or my plan was I'd dump the car if either happened.

The paint seems [censored] on these but car is quite reliable.

My friend a Dr wife who falls into top 1% income drove one as this was husband car(DX no less!) with [censored] paint from med school. She constantly got pulled over(speeding slightly) and to cops surprise find a tall well dressed attractive blond with certain home address and let her go.

It looked like a drug car.

The ONLY reason I bought a 2000 Accord is cause it had 5spd. What a great car and fine example it is. Heard way too many bad stories about the auto.

There are still a few 94-97's around in good shape.

Good college car..Toyota Corolla or Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix...all have same engine. 1.8L good on fuel, no timing belt to worry about.. no frills just good basic transportation back and forth.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Good college car..Toyota Corolla or Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix...all have same engine. 1.8L good on fuel, no timing belt to worry about.. no frills just good basic transportation back and forth.

But for Corolla, while 98 gains the timing chain, 98-02 or so had wicked oil burning issues. Or I should say, "could have". Same for the Chevy Prizm, which was the same car. 2003(?) the oil burning issue was fixed.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Would me too. If that is true, plus the transmission... I'd probably skip, unless if it was a steal, and I didn't mind the cost of a replacement transmission. Or my plan was I'd dump the car if either happened.

Not true. I have an '02 Accord V6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back