Single or dual exhaust

I've been in the same boat with my Silverado for a while now. I hear others that sound really good, and I want to make mine a little louder. Then I think about living with it daily. Plus I'm not going to get rid of the AFM, and most report a helicopter sound when it kicks down to a V4. It's fun to think about it, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Plus my wife says, you already have a muffler, why change it. She's the voice of reason around here
grin.gif

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by ram_man
I didn't know if doing duals would give any performance gain or if it was worth it ?

Answer - No. OEM's have been pretty good about tweaking every bit of HP and MPG out of vehicles over the last 10 years and the exhaust system has not been ignored. Look at your stock system. Larger pipes. Mandrel bends. In older vehicles driven on the street, I would be looking to enhance torque. That is where a slightly larger single exhaust comes into play. But don't go to big or everything is lost. Dual exhaust for high rpm power and single exhaust for low end torque.

Mandrel bends huh? You sure?

Yep...Did I spell it wrong?

Originally Posted by Chris142
Any 6-cyl sounds like a sick tractor with duel exhaust or a louder muffler.

Nah...NAH! Only junk motors. Good motors sound good.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Leave it alone. Way too many loud vehicles as it is.

Yup, it's a V6 Mustang, it's not going to sound appealing with louder exhaust, it's just going to be louder, perhaps obnoxious. There are engines that sound good with a more audible exhaust note, most of them have eight cylinders.

It will sound absolutely trash. I've heard them before, and they are horrible. It won't make it any faster, either. Stock it's a nice daily driver that you can have a little fun with. Keep it stock, keep it classy.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Chris142
Any 6-cyl sounds like a sick tractor with duel exhaust or a louder muffler.

Nah...NAH! Only junk motors. Good motors sound good.

I really don't like that buzzy sound in that video, not low toned. Sounds close to sport bikes.

I'd love to put louder exhaust on my work truck but it has the company name on the side, not sure how my boss would feel about it... And the original exhaust is 15 years old and still has no rust. Obviously it's going to outlast the vehicle. They obviously used really good stainless.

Originally Posted by ram_man
I didn't know if doing duals would give any performance gain or if it was worth it ?

Answer - No. OEM's have been pretty good about tweaking every bit of HP and MPG out of vehicles over the last 10 years and the exhaust system has not been ignored. Look at your stock system. Larger pipes. Mandrel bends. In older vehicles driven on the street, I would be looking to enhance torque. That is where a slightly larger single exhaust comes into play. But don't go to big or everything is lost. Dual exhaust for high rpm power and single exhaust for low end torque.

Mandrel bends huh? You sure?

Yep...Did I spell it wrong?

Pretty sure domestic vehicles (except Camaro, Mustang, Vette) are all crush curves.

Pretty sure domestic vehicles (except Camaro, Mustang, Vette) are all crush curves.

My Jeep isn't, my Charger wasn't, even my wife's Charger R/T which was a 2006 I don't think did
21.gif
I'd have to check, but I'd be surprised if the truck was crush curve.

Those who think a 4 cylinder can't sound good with a decent exhaust have never heard an Abarth...I get so many POSITIVE comments it's not even funny.
My Silverado has long tubes, and true duels...never gets old unless I am towing.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Those who think a 4 cylinder can't sound good with a decent exhaust have never heard an Abarth...I get so many POSITIVE comments it's not even funny.
My Silverado has long tubes, and true duels...never gets old unless I am towing.

4 Cylinder is fine, we were talking American made V6's, of which only the FGT sounds good IMO.

I live very near PBIR (the old Moroso) drag strip in Jupiter, FL. For some time, there was a group of V6 mustang racers. Many of them sounded great. Generally, they used headers, no cats and dual exhausts. They'd wind them up to very high RPM and the wail was impressive.

Yes V6 engines can sound awful with poor exhaust choices. Especially the 3.5 ecoboost truck engines. But those are twin turbo and don't have much exhaust "bark" as the turbo's dampen the sound. So they end up sounding like the UUUUUhhhhhh of a UPS delivery truck.

Last edited:
Back