Single or dual exhaust

I want it to be louder than it is it doesn't need to be obnoxious but decent sounding would be nice. I didn't know if doing duals would give any performance gain or if it was worth it ?

^ Take a 1/8" drill bit and start putting holes in your muffler in hard to spot areas, unless you have state inspections and/or (if) it's illegal to do in your area, then get one of those radios that plays a vroom vroom sound over the music while driving.
wink.gif

A quiet V6 is as good as you're going to get. The tradeoffs aren't worth it in this case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MCompact
The best thing that ever happened to my 1988 M6 was when the catalytic converter accidentally fell off in the garage one weekend. I replaced it with a Jet-Hot coated H-Pipe. The S38 inline six sounded glorious.

Ouch. I hope it didn't drop on you.

If your running a single exhaust run a bigger diameter pipe, 2-2.5" get a high flow cat and Turbo muffler.

Originally Posted by SpitFire6
The best thing that ever happened to my 1988 M6 was when the catalytic converter accidentally fell off in the garage one weekend. I replaced it with a Jet-Hot coated H-Pipe. The S38 inline six sounded glorious.

He was joking.
It didn't just "fall off", he probably cut it off in favor of the dual setup.
The stock exhausts on these old BMW's are VERY well made. My 88 still has it's original cat setup.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

He was joking.
The stock exhausts on these old BMW's are VERY well made. My 88 still has it's original cat setup.

Actually it was a dual inllet/dual outlet catalyst that bolted in with a two bolt flange on each pipe. As for longevity, my 1995 3 Series is still on it's original exhaust.

that seems to happen on occasion . poor quality oem! I enjoy inline sixes feel and sound.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by ram_man
My 06 mustang v6 has stock exhaust and it is just to quiet. So I want to make the exhaust sound better. Is there any real point between going to dual exhaust vs single and just getting a better muffler?

I wouldn't waste my money to make it loud, leave that sort of nonsense to the dingle ball gang. .

BINGO!!!!

Leave it stock. Your ears and your sanity will thank you 10 years later.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

He was joking.

You Sir Win.
A1+

When we were in high school, my friend's Ford Maverick dropped the entire exhaust in the middle of the road one day on the way home haha!

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Leave it alone. Way too many loud vehicles as it is.

Yup, it's a V6 Mustang, it's not going to sound appealing with louder exhaust, it's just going to be louder, perhaps obnoxious. There are engines that sound good with a more audible exhaust note, most of them have eight cylinders.

The only 6 cylinder vehicle that sounds awesome with a sportier exhaust than stock, IMO, is a boxer 6 Porsche 911. On a racetrack, with a race exhaust, they sound even more awesome, but that isn't for the street.
The current crop of muscle cars sound good with a reasonably throatier exhaust than stock, but unfortunately too many have exhausts that are just ear piercing. Rode in a Boss 302 Mustang that had a fabulous sounding exhaust, Magnaflow 3" with true Y crossover on a highway trip and what sounded good for short trips, quickly became very annoying.

Around here way too many pickups have ridiculously loud exhausts, typically a lifted 1/2 ton, whose owners tear [censored] all over. No idea how they get thru inspection.

A carefully selected properly engineered dual exhaust might gain a little sound and a little HP. Aftermarket exhaust do not have to be obnoxious and there is absolutely nothing wrong with something a little louder.

I promise that FRPP piece won't be obnoxious.

The problem is that a quality exhaust is going to cost 20-25% of what the car did, so if that is in the cards go for it and choose wisely, Borla, Magnaflow, FRPP not necessarily in that order...

Please try not to make is sound like that green POS running around Greenville SC...

21.gif

I didn't know if doing duals would give any performance gain or if it was worth it ?

Answer - No. OEM's have been pretty good about tweaking every bit of HP and MPG out of vehicles over the last 10 years and the exhaust system has not been ignored. Look at your stock system. Larger pipes. Mandrel bends. In older vehicles driven on the street, I would be looking to enhance torque. That is where a slightly larger single exhaust comes into play. But don't go to big or everything is lost. Dual exhaust for high rpm power and single exhaust for low end torque.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I didn't know if doing duals would give any performance gain or if it was worth it ?

Answer - No. OEM's have been pretty good about tweaking every bit of HP and MPG out of vehicles over the last 10 years and the exhaust system has not been ignored. Look at your stock system. Larger pipes. Mandrel bends. In older vehicles driven on the street, I would be looking to enhance torque. That is where a slightly larger single exhaust comes into play. But don't go to big or everything is lost. Dual exhaust for high rpm power and single exhaust for low end torque.

Mandrel bends huh? You sure?

Maybe it's all about the perfect balance. I've seen many 4 and 6 cyl cars that sound great! Not sure if it was stock or aftermarket. I'm guessing high performance exhaust systems for those types of engines have to be matched up very carefully so you'll be the perfect subtle low pitched rumble while at the same time not get the angry wasp sound.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
When we were in high school, my friend's Ford Maverick dropped the entire exhaust in the middle of the road one day on the way home haha!

Same thing happened to my 68 Galaxie on the 59th street bridge in NYC back in the mid 1980's.

Back