Single-nozzle Gas Pumps

SLD

Question on pumps that dispense different grades of gasoline from a singe nozzle. Is there any residual gas left in the line after a dispensing that would be mixed with the next dispensing of a different grade? I buy 91 octane that is ethanol-free in 1-gallon quantities. Not knowing what was dispensed just before I'm there, I usually put a few gallons in my truck before filling the can to be sure I am getting a full gallon of ethanol-free gas, just to be safe (for small gas powered tools and toys that sometimes sit for a while). It would be helpful to know how much (if any at all) needs to be cleared to be sure I'm getting the chosen fuel. Thanks

My best guess, it depends on the last customer. If they prepaid, the pump shuts off and the hose mostly empties into the tank. (Completely if they lift the hose so it's all above the nozzle before removing it). If they used a card or post-paid then the fuel was stopped at the nozzle.

There are probably other factors involved.

Question on pumps that dispense different grades of gasoline from a singe nozzle. Is there any residual gas left in the line after a dispensing that would be mixed with the next dispensing of a different grade? I buy 91 octane that is ethanol-free in 1-gallon quantities. Not knowing what was dispensed just before I'm there, I usually put a few gallons in my truck before filling the can to be sure I am getting a full gallon of ethanol-free gas, just to be safe (for small gas powered tools and toys that sometimes sit for a while). It would be helpful to know how much (if any at all) needs to be cleared to be sure I'm getting the chosen fuel. Thanks
One more thing Premium gas generally doesn't have ethanol. If at the pump the highest octane is 93 there should not be any, but if there is a higher grade than it probably has it. The pump mixes the highest octane with the lowest in different % to obtain the desired level.

The answer is yes there is some residual gas from the previous customer. Many of the Kwik Trip stations here have one pump with three nozzles just for those customers who are worried about this, mostly those with motorcycles. For a vehicle it makes no significant difference whatsoever.

I have a similar question that I was recently pondering.
We get VOA and UOA done. Is there a way to test gas? I was wondering if there is a way to know, if I am paying for premium, am I really getting 93 octane? Am I really getting more detergents as advertised?
If you pay the extra money for Exxon Super Supreme gas, here is the fine print regarding their promised two times the detergent versus regular:
Concentration and availability of our proprietary additive package may vary based upon factors beyond our control.

One more thing Premium gas generally doesn't have ethanol. If at the pump the highest octane is 93 there should not be any, but if there is a higher grade than it probably has it. The pump mixes the highest octane with the lowest in different % to obtain the desired level.
I have yet to see a pump at any of the stations around me say that premium is ethanol free, everything is labeled E10.

Everything in the hose, and the internal piping to the selector valve will be what the last customer bought. You cannot "drain the hose" on a modern gas pump, once the pump shuts off, you aren't getting but a few drips out of the nozzle.
If you are getting small amounts of fuel, it is definitely a good practice to purge about 1.5 gallons into your truck to ensure what you are putting in your can is the ethanol free high octane gas.
I also fill all my small engine cans with 91 octane ethanol free, but I fill 5 gallon cans, but i still pump a couple gallons into my truck first.

Not true. All the 93 octane premium I deliver has ethanol...regardless of brand.

Not true. All the 93 octane premium I deliver has ethanol...regardless of brand.

Same where I am. All the 93 contains ethanol. If I go north of the border into WI I sometimes run into gas without ethanol but even then it’s not too common.

Same where I am. All the 93 contains ethanol. If I go north of the border into WI I sometimes run into gas without ethanol but even then it’s not too common.
We deliver a fair amount of ethanol free gas. More and more stations are adding it. 99% of them are selling "90 Rec" gas...which is just the base stock used to blend 93 Premium without ethanol. We have a couple of stations that sell 87E0...which makes zero sense because it costs them more. 87E0 is a blend of 84 base stock and 90 base stock....blended as it's loaded on the truck.

It is said the local Stewart's (gas station with convenience store) Premium is ethanol free. That's fine.
No mention on the pump and I'm not sure where the news of ethanol freedom came from.
I bet it varies and is not consistent.

We deliver a fair amount of ethanol free gas. More and more stations are adding it. 99% of them are selling "90 Rec" gas...which is just the base stock used to blend 93 Premium without ethanol. We have a couple of stations that sell 87E0...which makes zero sense because it costs them more. 87E0 is a blend of 84 base stock and 90 base stock....blended as it's loaded on the truck.
i'm Still trying to figure out Caseys... every other station in the area, everything is e10, 87,89, 93. Usually a 30 cent spread between the grades.

when casey's opened last year, the offered e10(87),e15(88),e85,e10(91),e0(91)
their e10 91 was the same price as everyone else's e10 93, with the e0 91, being a nickle more.
earlier this year, they dropped the e0, and put e10 93 "super premium" in it's place.
they still charge the same for e10 91 as everyone else does for e10 93, with their e10 93 ten cents higher...

I miss that e0 91...I got an extra 4-5 mpg with it...

It is said the local Stewart's (gas station with convenience store) Premium is ethanol free. That's fine.
No mention on the pump and I'm not sure where the news of ethanol freedom came from.
I bet it varies and is not consistent.
A list of ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Just discovered this a few days ago ... looks interesting.

Back