Since smartphones, do you still wear a watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
I find myself subconsciously(not after this thread) weaning myself off wearing them since i do everything with my phone.

I still much prefer a quick glance at the watch to tell time instead of having to pull the phone out of my pocket. I also like wearing a watch, irrespective of its usefulness. Call it male jewelry, if you must.
smile.gif

With that said, ever since my kid was born, I rarely ever wear a watch - I don't want the watch or the steel bracelet to hurt him as I pick him up and carry him around. I do always wear it when I go on business trips though.

Well when wrist watches became popular pocket watches pretty much took a dump. I`m not going to grab my phone out of my pocket just to see the time. You also have risk of dropping your phone and screwing it up by doing that.I check the time frequently
so that would be a nuisance also. When I forget to wear my watch I catch myself constantly looking at my bare wrist. :)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I've got a Moto 360.

Gen 1 or 2? What is the overall diameter of this thing?

Well, I have a Gen1 and a 360 Sport, but the one in the photo is my 360 Gen2 42mm. By far my favorite.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: wemay
I find myself subconsciously(not after this thread) weaning myself off wearing them since i do everything with my phone.

I still much prefer a quick glance at the watch to tell time instead of having to pull the phone out of my pocket. I also like wearing a watch, irrespective of its usefulness. Call it male jewelry, if you must.
smile.gif

With that said, ever since my kid was born, I rarely ever wear a watch - I don't want the watch or the steel bracelet to hurt him as I pick him up and carry him around. I do always wear it when I go on business trips though.

I wore mine until i looked at it that once-in-a-blue-moon and it had stopped working. I wondered, while chuckling, 'when the heck was the last time i actually looked at this thing.' I do still wear my G-Shock but rarely my nice watches.

I wear a watch....have been for almost 50 years. It's a standard, analog dial with day and date and I feel like I lost a friend if I don't have it on.
I don't rely on my phone for time.

I wear a 1958 Timex Marlin when I wear a watch. When I'm in a meeting I don't want to pull out my phone and look at the time. But I can take a quick glance at my wrist. The Timex is the first watch that I've owned, and I've owned it since new. It gets cleaned every decade or so, and the crystal has been replace a couple times. Winding it is part of my morning ritual, even if I don't plan to wear it that day.

I only wear a watch about half the time. The other half of the time I couldn't care less what time it is.

I bought a smart watch so I don't have to use German heavy metal for my text message notification to ensure I wake up when I get paged at 2am while I'm on call. Now the phone just makes a normal sound and the watch vibrates to wake me up.

But it is kind of amusing that modern phones have grown so big that it's easier to keep them in your pocket and use a remote control on your wrist.

Of course it also sucks to have to recharge your watch every five days.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
BANG BANG.

Yeah, those are the guys
smile.gif
. One of their songs starts quiet and soon gets very loud, so it's perfect for a 'make sure I wake up at 2am' alert.

On the notably cheap Slickdeals site, people consistently post deals for above-$1000 watch "deals", and get thumbs-ups.

I wear a watch because I want to know the time. I often reset computer clocks to it, also, as they aren't connected to any other source of time.

I can't stand wearing a watch, let alone any other kind of adornment. Don't have a phone and don't want one either. There's at least one clock in every room in the house and one on each computer and one in each car. That's enough to cover 99% of my time needs and when it isn't...I can make someone else pull out their phone (if it isn't out already).

GrtArtiste

Watch is the only form of jewelry I wear. For some reason I like wearing them even though I don't really need them for time. I have a bunch I rotate but I really like my Tag Link and wear it the most.

I do hate the trend for the super large watches however, 42mm is about the biggest I like.

Last edited:
I stopped wearing them about 10 years ago. I was outdoors a lot and didn't want the tell-tale tan-line and when I was outside, knowing what time it was didn't matter because we were done when we were told we were done.
grin.gif

I got back into the habit last year when I had to do some traveling and didn't want to mess with my cell phone on the plane. And thanks to Amazon and some killer sales from Macy's and JCP, I think my watch stash gives my oil stash a run for the money.
crackmeup2.gif

I've almost always worked in retail, and none of the places have allowed cell phones on the sales floor. So I wear a watch when I'm at work.

Yes, I have a G-Shock Watch and I just love it! It looks like a sports watch so I can wear that comfortably during gym time too.

What an adventure to set the time on my ecoD ... too many little dials (it was gift) ...

Working in the medical field, I wear a watch. Sure I can get a heart rate from pulse oximetry or other electronic means, but actually feeling a heart beat and timing it can tell a story. I've always hated to wear watches. I do not wear watches at home, but for the sake of my patients, I wear a watch at work. Any watch that counts seconds will do. No need to get fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back