Since PYB is basically gone now..

I've been feeding my 322,000 mile Dodge Durango a diet of 5W30 PYB conventional with a Wix filter for the past year in an attempt to clean as much sludge as I can. I noticed now that Wal-Mart doesn't stock it any longer, and after investigating, evidently it's being phased out.

So what's the go-to now for an insanely high mileage vehicle with some sludge/varnish?

I really, really don't want to get into a synthetic for obvious reasons. That being said, right now I seem to have zero oil consumption and very minor if any oil leaking. I've been running Pennzoil Plat in my other cars but am seriously considering going back to Mobil 1. Does Mobil 1 have anything that's good at cleaning that you'd feel comfortable dumping into a 322K vehicle? Or would you go for something else?

Just for reference, I have a mechanical oil PSI gauge and I'm seeing about 12 PSI at hot idle and about 45 PSI at hot cruise on the highway.

Go with Chevron 5w30 from Wally World. Often under $8 a jug on sale. SS but so was PYB.
I agree. Chevron Supreme 5w30 would be an excellent choice here. Plus the 5-quart jug is only $12 when not on sale LOL :D
I'm sure the GTX ultraclean would be good as well, but I have no personal experience with it. I used Chevron Supreme for years and it is an excellent oil.

What does PYB have in it that makes it clean better that other like rated oils ?
Certification is a minimum standard. Two oils can hold the same certifications or licenses, but also perform differently. PYB has a reputation for excellent cleaning thanks in large part to anecdotal evidence and an additive package that pointed to better cleaning years ago. Is that still the case or was it ever true? Maybe, I don't know. That said, not all API SP oils are the same. They just have met the same minimum standards.

I've been feeding my 322,000 mile Dodge Durango a diet of 5W30 PYB conventional with a Wix filter for the past year in an attempt to clean as much sludge as I can.
It's not like it has any more sludge dissolving solvents than any other oil. Toss in a dose of Kreen 1,000 miles before a few 3,000 mile OCIs if you want to see any noticeable results.

I've been feeding my 322,000 mile Dodge Durango a diet of 5W30 PYB conventional with a Wix filter for the past year in an attempt to clean as much sludge as I can. I noticed now that Wal-Mart doesn't stock it any longer, and after investigating, evidently it's being phased out.

So what's the go-to now for an insanely high mileage vehicle with some sludge/varnish?

I really, really don't want to get into a synthetic for obvious reasons. That being said, right now I seem to have zero oil consumption and very minor if any oil leaking. I've been running Pennzoil Plat in my other cars but am seriously considering going back to Mobil 1. Does Mobil 1 have anything that's good at cleaning that you'd feel comfortable dumping into a 322K vehicle? Or would you go for something else?

Just for reference, I have a mechanical oil PSI gauge and I'm seeing about 12 PSI at hot idle and about 45 PSI at hot cruise on the highway.
"So what's the go-to now for an insanely high mileage vehicle with some sludge/varnish?"

How do you know you have a sludge and/or varnish problem? If you've been running 5W30 PYB for the last year...maybe you don't have any problem(s) at all?

Ed

Castrol GTX Ultraclean
That's what I was going to suggest as most oil today are either blends or full synthetics so finding some conventional is going to be hard. If you have a Tractor Supply or any farm store near I'm sure that you can find conventional there, I was at Tractor Supply today and found they still had their Traveller oil which is most likely made by Warren, short of that you're either going to be looking at diesel oil or a blend.

If you can find Quaker State that's a fine oil and very similar to the PYB.

Which engine do you have, is it the 4.7 sludge motor?

Back