Simple file backup?

On a Windows 10 machine, I am looking for a simple way to periodically (on demand or on schedule) copy contents of select folders on my local drive to another drive (either USB or local network drive). I don't want the files to be saved inside a ZIP or some oddball image or archive that only a specific application can restore. I just want those files to be stored "as is," - just basic file copy, no encryption, no compression.

Then, at every subsequent backup I want only the new and modified files since the last backup to be copied over.

Is there a simple free utility that does this? I've tried the built-in Windows Backup, but it is creating ZIP files which is not what I want. I've also tried the highly regarded EaseUS Todo Backup - also doesn't do what I want.

Thanks!

I'm using the built in Windows Backup and it doesn't create zip files. I can navigate through all the folders and see all the files I have backed up when I navigate to the drive. Are you selecting certain folders to back up or backing up a system image?

You can use xcopy. Make a batch file called "whatever.bat" with the line: xcopy "c:\folder" "c:\backup_folder" /s /d /y
Use the native windows task scheduler to have it execute your batch file at your chosen times. xcopy with the switches I have given you will copy files and subdirectories from your source folder down, only copy newer files and suppress a prompt to say "yes". This xcopy as provided will crush older same named files in the backup_folder so make sure you want that. If you need more info or detail let me know.

The Windows backup utility is very capable of doing what you're looking for.
Thanks. I was using the old "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" functionality. I noticed there is another option called "Back up using File History." Hopefully this one does what I want.

You can use xcopy. Make a batch file called "whatever.bat" with the line: xcopy "c:\folder" "c:\backup_folder" /s /d /y
Use the native windows task scheduler to have it execute your batch file at your chosen times. xcopy with the switches I have given you will copy files and subdirectories from your source folder down, only copy newer files and suppress a prompt to say "yes". This xcopy as provided will crush older same named files in the backup_folder so make sure you want that. If you need more info or detail let me know.

I use a very similar method actually. However I also mix in some robocopy as well. xcopy copies files and overwrites older ones, but it won't remove files that have been deleted in the source folder. Which I want in some cases. In some cases I want the folders to be identical. So in those cases I use robocopy.

xcopy "C:\folder" "E:\Backup" /d /y /r /h /s /c /f /i
robocopy "C:\folder2" "E:\Backup" /E /PURGE /R:2 /W:2

Thanks. I was using the old "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" functionality. I noticed there is another option called "Back up using File History." Hopefully this one does what I want.
Yep ... in Windows 10.

Windows 10 Backup App.JPG

I have a scheme that works!

Every computer has a desktop folder called "X(for instance) Desktop2".
Every day or so I gather my new desktop icons and throw them into X Desktop2.
(The Book1.xls's and such get ID'd, scrapped or properly named.)
(I put all my 'Downloads' and "Document' folders in X Desktop2, and any other 'work' - HPTuners for instance that might get altered often.)
I click a bat that does below:
I robocopy them to local backup if exists (strongly advised!) same folder name, then to network machine (server-ish, also does TV DVR) same folder name, and then from that folder to another duplicate drive.
So I have the local machine, backup on local machine, and 2 copies on 'server' machine - all named X Desktop2.

backup.bat
robocopy "C:\Users\A\Desktop\X Desktop2" "D:\X Desktop2" /mir /z rem local BU
robocopy "C:\Users\A\Desktop\X Desktop2" "\\Y\M\2 Computers\X Desktop2" /mir /z rem 'server' BU
robocopy "\\Y\M\2 Computers\X Desktop2" "\\Y\N\2 Computers\X Desktop2" /mir /z rem 'Server' dup BU
Pause

My 'server's file structure has a number of files that dont change - thus 3 Videos, 4 Pics, 5 Wii, etc

i used robocopy years ago but had to watch tutorials and go slow. i'd try that.

Sometimes rsync 's (Linux command) dry run option and logging capabilities are a nice features. The dry run will let you test the command without changing anything. In Windows I always end up making dummy folders to test new commands with before running them on anything important.

I use a freeware program for years called Mr Mirror v1.3. Does exactly what you want as far as picking and archiving. I see the newer version may not be unlimited freeware though.

Sometimes rsync 's (Linux command) dry run option and logging capabilities are a nice features. The dry run will let you test the command without changing anything. In Windows I always end up making dummy folders to test new commands with before running them on anything important.
oh yeah i deleted a precious photo folder doing that i still regret it as i didn't have a backup.

I use smart sync pro on my w10 work computer for simple straightforward comparison and copying of files.

Yup, for a home user, this is super simple to use.
So, it doesn't actually work the way I want it to as it stores multiple copies of each file if that file was changed. For example my Thunderbird profile which changes daily and currently takes up 11 GB. In 30 days I am going to have 30 copies of it taking up 330 GB of space on the backup drive. I don't need that. I just want the latest copy. Is there a way to tell Windows Backup to do this?

Back