Simple file backup?

So, it doesn't actually work the way I want it to as it stores multiple copies of each file if that file was changed. For example my Thunderbird profile which changes daily and currently takes up 11 GB. In 30 days I am going to have 30 copies of it taking up 330 GB of space on the backup drive. I don't need that. I just want the latest copy. Is there a way to tell Windows Backup to do this?

I haven't delved that deep into the configuration of it but I assume there's a timeframe you could assign to it?

I use a freeware program for years called Mr Mirror v1.3. Does exactly what you want as far as picking and archiving. I see the newer version may not be unlimited freeware though.
Thanks, yeah, I need to find the 1.3 version somewhere.

I am not a Windows user but I recall years ago using an application called Tucan for uncompressed, scheduled, incremental backup:

There is even a portable version that you can test:

I would just use a copy from Ctrl-C Ctrl-V or drag and drop. Zip is ok too but if you have 1 bad file the whole thing is gone. I would try not to use app or OS specific backup so it is easier to retrieve / restore.

Thanks everyone. After reviewing all the suggestions given here, I think I've settled on SyncToy with a Windows task scheduled to run on a weekly basis.

Back