One drive vs networked storage?

JHZR2

Staff member
I have access to a lot of storage in MS OneDrive. I also have networked share drive storage space. It seems like onedrive is intended to sync files, however my concern is dealing with many, many GB (call it 100 maybe more) of pst files. I know you’re not supposed to keep active pst files on one drive or in a one drive synced folder.

Ideally I’d like to drag them to onedrive, tell it to store the files and not to sync them, and use the onedrive as a storage repository. Is there a way to do this?

To be clear, these are pst files that I don’t want to have actively opened or updated by outlook. They’re spare copies that I want to keep on the one drive cloud storage and not be messed with, synced, etc. is this possible?

Or is a separate “static” networked drive that has professional backup and all those things the only way to offsite archive pst files??

Thanks!

OneDrive will not allow you to upload files larger than 5GB.

Never mind, did they change this? O365 used to not allow files larger than 5GB per file.

OneDrive will not allow you to upload files larger than 5GB.

Never mind, did they change this? O365 used to not allow files larger than 5GB per file.
Yes, I don't know what the limit is, but I routinely back up 25GB files to OneDrive. I have the paid version of OneDrive.

Network storage is not backup... one is none.
I don’t know what you mean. Offsite networked storage that is backed up is what I have. Thus I have files I use on my hdd, a spare copy on my hdd, and an offsite copy on managed backup drives…. One drive would be option three if I can make it work. I like the zip idea for archiving…

Yes, I don't know what the limit is, but I routinely back up 25GB files to OneDrive. I have the paid version of OneDrive.

Gotcha. I just double checked, work accounts are limited to 15GB/file (used to be 5GB) now and 250GB/file for personal use on Win8.1+.

A cheap way alt is using Amazon AWS s3 and figuring out a client to upload with. I use that and IBMs version when I build cloud apps. Works really well and if for archival purposes dirt cheap cheap.

What is the cost for archival use?

We pay about $80/month for about 4.5TB of storage, including the few file restores I do a month for users (November was like 5 cents worth of restores.) It's the restores that can get you if you end up doing a big or a lot of restores. In contrast, our Dec 2019 bill was $360 because of the higher retrieval fees.

S3:
$0.023 per GB - first 50 TB / month of storage used
$0.004 per 10,000 GET and all other requests
$0.005 per 1,000 PUT, COPY, POST, or LIST requests

Glacier:
$0.0036 per GB / month - Storage. Files cannot be deleted for 90 days or you get charged.
$0.012 per GB - Early Delete
$0.03 per GB - Expedited retrieval fee
$0.050 per 1,000 requests
$0.01 per Expedited request

Last edited:
Thanks missed thread for answering. I use s3 and IBM cloud object store for our apps. If you just make occasional copies / updates and rarely retrieve glacier or equivalent is pretty cheap.

It looks like you can upload .pst files and the size limit is 250GB, so it should work.

Files within a ,zip are limited to 20GB.

You can setup the OneDrive client to "Free Up Space" and have it only keep a copy online. In other words it won't be synced to your computer unless you open it, then it will download and open.

Reactions: Pew
Back