Simoniz paint sealant opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a CPO Lexus GS 350 2015. Previous owner had the Simoniz paint sealant applied by the dealer. Now this is something I would never buy if the car was new.

I would like the opinions of those that HAVE purchased this or have first hand knowledge of how well it works (or doesn’t). Please NO opinions on the validity of such materials. I have heard it all before. “Just a waste of money “ or. “Dealer profit center”, etc. I know this and believe it myself.

But since this has already been applied I would like to know what to expect, if anything.

expect very little as a factor especially at this point.. consider it the same as a ceramic coating.

if it was done when purchased, and the owner was not meticulous in their car detailing and (considering they sold it) then that coating is likely long gone.

you need to evaluate the paint based on current conditions and how it was taken care of over the 5years, not based on the initial detail job.

Last edited:
Even if it was a high-quality baked-on ceramic coating, you treat it the same way as you would a clear coat. Polish if it swirls, and apply wax over top if you so choose.

Considering how long this stuff has been on the market I can’t believe no one on this board has some experience with it. I was hoping some of the detailers here have seen cars that have had it applied and formulated an opinion.

I do plan to treat this car as if nothing was applied. I usually clay the finish with meguirs instant detailer as a lubeand Zaino finish.

i would think its more like
https://www.simoniz.com/dealerships/glasscoat/
which also has more of an insurance coverage option baked in.

whether its a profit thing for the dealer is not really relevant to the quality of product itself and how it is holding up. All car detailing costs money and is relatively expensive.

So say you bought a car new and got it fully detailed and say they put on a top of the line treatment of whatever your favorite brand of products or flavor of the month. A detailer is going to charge you in the ballpark of $400 for this full package new car protection work, whether its zaino or klasse or a ceramic product or something else.

Say the dealer upcharged that to $800, so what? the price and profit has no bearing that a product was applied nor the current condition of the paint.

If the owner parks outside and goes through the gas station carwash every month, the paint finish will be degraded and worse regardless of any initial protection. An owner that didn't have the protection but has indoor parking and washes carefully even with overthecounter non fancy products can have better paint.

Last edited:
I have detailed a many "new" cars with Simoniz, Cilajet, Xzilon, etc, all these products are huge money makers for dealerships as an upsell, they do work, but are grossly overpriced and do not last anywhere near as long as the claims. I have coated hundreds of cars at my shop with varying ceramic coatings, and done properly, with good products, they are simply amazing.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
I have detailed a many "new" cars with Simoniz, Cilajet, Xzilon, etc, all these products are huge money makers for dealerships as an upsell, they do work, but are grossly overpriced and do not last anywhere near as long as the claims. I have coated hundreds of cars at my shop with varying ceramic coatings, and done properly, with good products, they are simply amazing.

Thanks for this information. A question... if an owner takes reasonable care of their car, periodic washes and wax, will this coating provide any additional value or paint longevity?

I have to admit, I don’t detail my cars like I used to. In my distant past I would hand wash weekly, clay quarterly and apply a polish/wax. Now I hand wash occasionally, auto car wash weekly, and clay/Zaino polish twice a year. Have to admit the car looks great.

So was the coating applied when the car was purchased new or when it was being sold?

I would not expect much from it. Six months or more. Simoniz is a old brand known for wax but not known for their coatings. Other brands are much more popular.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
So was the coating applied when the car was purchased new or when it was being sold?

I would not expect much from it. Six months or more. Simoniz is a old brand known for wax but not known for their coatings. Other brands are much more popular.

Was applied when the car was new. Three years ago. Car finish looks great but mind you it only has 12K miles. I suspect the car was outdoors a fair amount of time. Although the it was “detailed “ prior to sale I found a fair amount of pine needles hidden away. Under the battery, hood hinge area, corners of trunk, etc

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry

Was applied when the car was new. Three years ago. Car finish looks great but mind you it only has 12K miles. I suspect the car was outdoors a fair amount of time. Although the it was “detailed “ prior to sale I found a fair amount of pine needles hidden away. Under the battery, hood hinge area, corners of trunk, etc

Even the best coatings don’t last that long so go ahead and detail it with your choice of products. There are plenty of good choices out there.

Even the best coatings don’t last that long so go ahead and detail it with your choice of products. There are plenty of good choices out there.

What I was going to do anyway. Clay and Zaino 5 twice a year.

Thanks for this information. A question... if an owner takes reasonable care of their car, periodic washes and wax, will this coating provide any additional value or paint longevity?

Added value, na, but some will protect the paint quite well, although some of the dealership coatings are better than others, Xzilon I have seen last quite a while. Cilajet and others, not so much. They are really just selling you the warranty...but good luck with any claims.

C.Quartz has been on my beater car for 3.5 years now, still going strong parked outside 24/7 and gets driven on a dirt road daily. It is all in the prep.

Last edited:

Added value, na, but some will protect the paint quite well, although some of the dealership coatings are better than others, Xzilon I have seen last quite a while. Cilajet and others, not so much. They are really just selling you the warranty...but good luck with any claims.

C.Quartz has been on my beater car for 3.5 years now, still going strong parked outside 24/7 and gets driven on a dirt road daily. It is all in the prep.

Thanks. Appreciate your insight.

I’ll say, my brother has done cilajet twice now. He does nothing but wash his cars carefully, and they look very good. He is a believer.

One of these topped with an SiO2 sealant (HydrO2 or McKees Hydro Blue, OE the new Sonax spray) should be able to keep a base coating working for years.

If that were my car, I'd assume that the protection that was provided by the initial application is pretty much all gone.

I would do a paint correction (if necessary), and then apply a quality ceramic coating, like C.quartz or similar, and then maintain it with reload as needed throughout the years.

If doing a coating is not something you want to do, then a good SiO2 sealant would be a terrific way to go, or as you've mentioned, Zaino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back