Silverado OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Silverado 5.3L with ~168800 miles on it. I have always run M1 5W30 in it for the last 100K miles. I usually change the oil at 5K miles, basically this falls on the 5's and 10's so 155K, 160K, 165K and etc. I got a notice on the cluster to change the oil by the OLM yesterday. Usually It tells me the change around 5K miles, so I'm surprised it told me to do it at 3800 miles. I have been driving allot more short trips recently. Since I run synthetic, can I wait another 1200 miles or change it now?

I have a 99 silverado, basically the same truck as yours is. The oil life monitors take into consideration rpm,oil temps,idle time,and a multitude of other variables before that change oil pops up on the dash.
Our trucks were calibrated for a conventional oil an SL spec iirc,so today's offerings are far better than what was originally specified so yes you can run another 1200 miles before changing the oil.
In fact Mobil guaranties the M1 line for 10000 miles so you are in fact dumping oil with half it's useable life left.
We've got a member here named SteveSRT. He's got a fleet of Chevy 5.3 and 6.0 engines in vans. These vans operate carpet cleaning equipment so the engines run non stop all day because not only do they power the vans and get them to the job,they also power the equipment.
From what I remember SteveSRT uses whatever synthetic is on sale and changes the oil according to the oil life monitor.
His duty cycle is easily the most difficult I can think of yet his engines run many hundreds of thousands of miles.
In fact he was bragging the other day that he had a 6.0 that was just sold at 500k miles and the van had nothing but routine maintenance and the engine never opened,just oil changes.
So your duty cycle isn't severe so I suggest running the interval longer or run a conventional and save a buck.
Don't fool yourself and think running syn and dumping it half used is "cheap insurance" because it's not.
Any of today's conventional can run 5000 miles except in the most extreme circumstances such as all towing miles or all city miles or all short trips.

Ah, the same engineers that also developed the problem plagued Automated Fuel Management cylinder shut down system on almost all GM engines now. Yeah, placing my trust in GM engineers really makes me feel better.

This shows that the OLM knows that you've been making shorter trips.

There are people who will try to convince you that the OLM in GM vehicles simply counts down miles. It doesn't.

It is your decision to change now or wait. I don't think you're going to make a mistake in either choice. You're not in a cold weather climate like I am, where those short trips could be leading to condensation issues. In addition, we've seen temperatures from 50 above to 20 below so far this winter.

If you were up here where I am, I'd tell you to change it. But in Texas, I'd wait for 5000 to roll around.

The manual for my Burb says that once the change engine oil light comes on, you are supposed to change sometime in the next two gas fill ups, which would be about 600 miles for me, so you would really only be extending it 600 miles and are using a much better oil than the OLM realizes, so I vote for running it to the full 5,000.

the OLM on my 06 Saturn Relay constantly says oil change life is about 4500 miles.
I've used Mobil 1, it said 4500, I used Redline, 4500miles, I now use Synpower and it's 4500 miles. All with 5w30, and the van is a daily driver, going about 55 miles round trip a day, very little stop & go traffic.
I ignore the OLM, it's to me a guide as to when to change the oil filter and top off for another 4500 miles.
I can't fathom M1 only being good for 4500 miles. The van has had synthetic since 10,000 miles. Primarily valvoline Synpower.

The monthly onstar report I get happily tells me I need to click here to contact my local chevy dealer for an oil change appointment, and a week later I get a flyer in the mail from them too.
I can't get the local Ford dealer off my back about oil changes either. I'm going to push for 10k this time as per recommendation from Blackstone. I have to get my papers scanned so I can post them. MC 5w20 is an awesome oil for a semi-syn!

What I find ridiculous is california has this website that gives "their" recommended OCI, my van, is 3000 miles. Ok.. I don't believe even the cheapest no name conventional oil wears out by 3000miles, in a maintained engine. Weirdly, the OCM says 4500 miles. Well I'm using a synthetic oil, those numbers are already wrong.

The truck is far out of warranty. One or two UOAs would tell you how healthy the oil is allowing you to extend it past 5K. M1 can do 10K without breaking a sweat in mixed driving--an UOA would tell you for sure.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Ah, the same engineers that also developed the problem plagued Automated Fuel Management cylinder shut down system on almost all GM engines now. Yeah, placing my trust in GM engineers really makes me feel better.

LOL
11.gif

I'm with you on the GM engineers and the AFM, and the OLM. I have a '13 Sierra with 4.8 and changed mine yesterday at 4,400. Put Valvoline Synthetic in it too. I've never lost a motor due to bearing failure, or other internal failure, and I always did 3k changes. I am 61 years old, and have been maintaining (oil changes) my own cars since I was 16, or 17 years old. I let them go a little further than 3k now, but to me, oil is cheap insurance. A lot cheaper than rebuilding a GM v8 engine, especially these days. I'm sticking to no more than 4k changes in my Sierra, call it wasteful, or ignorance, or whatever.

Originally Posted By: Deamos
How short are short trips?

In the mornings I go to the office it is about 4 miles one way. the 2 days a week I work form the house I take my son to daycare and that is about 2 miles round trip. Allot fo time I will go exercise and that is either 5-10 miles round trip depending on where I start from and the truck will sit for an hour while I ride. Now that the spring semester has started, I drive to grad school 2 nights a week and that is about 35-40 miles round trip.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Change it, dont try to outsmart the engineers that designed it.

Normally I'd agree with you, but the engineers designed to a certain parameters (conventional oil in 2001), I have since changed those parameters.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
This shows that the OLM knows that you've been making shorter trips.

There are people who will try to convince you that the OLM in GM vehicles simply counts down miles. It doesn't.

It is your decision to change now or wait. I don't think you're going to make a mistake in either choice. You're not in a cold weather climate like I am, where those short trips could be leading to condensation issues. In addition, we've seen temperatures from 50 above to 20 below so far this winter.

If you were up here where I am, I'd tell you to change it. But in Texas, I'd wait for 5000 to roll around.

When I was working out of our other office, I was doing 40-60 miles a day and a couple times I forgot about the oil change and the light didn't come on for 6-7K miles. It definitely takes more than just mileage into account.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I have a 99 silverado, basically the same truck as yours is. The oil life monitors take into consideration rpm,oil temps,idle time,and a multitude of other variables before that change oil pops up on the dash.
Our trucks were calibrated for a conventional oil an SL spec iirc,so today's offerings are far better than what was originally specified so yes you can run another 1200 miles before changing the oil.
In fact Mobil guaranties the M1 line for 10000 miles so you are in fact dumping oil with half it's useable life left.
We've got a member here named SteveSRT. He's got a fleet of Chevy 5.3 and 6.0 engines in vans. These vans operate carpet cleaning equipment so the engines run non stop all day because not only do they power the vans and get them to the job,they also power the equipment.
From what I remember SteveSRT uses whatever synthetic is on sale and changes the oil according to the oil life monitor.
His duty cycle is easily the most difficult I can think of yet his engines run many hundreds of thousands of miles.
In fact he was bragging the other day that he had a 6.0 that was just sold at 500k miles and the van had nothing but routine maintenance and the engine never opened,just oil changes.
So your duty cycle isn't severe so I suggest running the interval longer or run a conventional and save a buck.
Don't fool yourself and think running syn and dumping it half used is "cheap insurance" because it's not.
Any of today's conventional can run 5000 miles except in the most extreme circumstances such as all towing miles or all city miles or all short trips.

I think it is the "RPM" that is setting it off. the bad or good part about where I live is that the south side of my street dead ends into a major freeway and I go west I am less than 2 minutes from another major freeway. Especially in the afternoons, just getting into traffic to go ride or get to gradschool requires a liberal use of RPM or you sit at the stop sign for hours.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
The truck is far out of warranty. One or two UOAs would tell you how healthy the oil is allowing you to extend it past 5K. M1 can do 10K without breaking a sweat in mixed driving--an UOA would tell you for sure.

I do need to do a UOA, I usually try to keep it to 5K, since by then I am usually down about a quart.

I've also heard of some issues with GM's system. FWIW the Dodge Hemi 5.7 has the best cyl. deactivation system out there. I have never heard of issues with it.

"Hearing" things?

Does everyone here know that over one MILLION of those HORRIBLE GM V8's are produced in a single year?

Yes, there were issues with a tiny segment of the AFM early runs, and they were quickly corrected. They are among the most economical and reliable V8 engines out there.

And that horrible OLM! That must be why our fleet truck was sold with over a half a million miles on it with no leaks, drips, smoke, or usage of any kind!

Yeah, those really bad engines....

The AFM oil consumption thing affect less than 1% of AFM equipped GM V8s. The forums blow it WAY out of proportion.

Well, it may affect 1% according to you, but it sure has sparked a bevy of TSB's to address the problem (check with your local GM dealership about how many TSB's are out to address AFM and oil consumption issues) and there is hardly a dealer that hasn't had to address several vehicles of their customers.

Doesn't matter. I disabled mine. Just the thought of 4 cylinders taking a coffee break while the others do the work just didn't sit well with me. I realize the government has had a lot of influence over GM the last few years, but I am not going to have my cylinders acting like government workers and having 4 of them standing around watching the other 4 work. I overrode that union contract the day after my new 2013 was brought home. Guess it is just the upbringing in me, and maybe some influence by the military. I paid for 8 cylinders, I expect them all to work, and it is a team deal.... no slackers not willing to pack the gear. GM didn't give me the choice to have AFM or not, so I took it upon myself to create the choice. AFM is not allowed to function in my engine. If I wanted 4 cylinders, I would have gotten a vehicle with 4 cylinders. If I wanted 6, same thing. I selected 8 cylinders, and none of them are going to go out on smoke breaks while the others work.

And in the final analysis, if the AFM is the true culprit to this oil consumption thing and other issues, maybe I will be able to dodge that bullet. Time will tell.

And issues only limited to early runs? I know of two people that have 2012's in for this issue. One is getting the entire top side done, the other is getting some cleaning stuff run thru the cylinders and then will go do another oil consumption test. I know the AFM came out a few years before the 2012's, so the issue is not dead yet.

Originally Posted By: stchman

The AFM oil consumption thing affect less than 1% of AFM equipped GM V8s. The forums blow it WAY out of proportion.

x a dozen. It's an incredibly small percentage. But I am sympathetic to the affected owners. But ANY mfgr who makes a million engines will have a few with a problem. Any one of them.

And please note TT that TSB's are not applicable to every vehicle. Only the ones with a specific problem. The only reason you even know about AFM issues is the very vocal but extremely small actual number of folks with a problem. That in no way means your truck will have any issues. What it really indicates is GM trying to service its clients effectively.

I drove from Ludlow Ma to Florida last year with a new 2013 3500 Chevy Express 6.0 with AFM.
We AVERAGED 69 mph for the entire trip including all stops, so you know we didn't waste much time. Our mileage was over 16 mpg, which is outstanding for a heavily loaded van.

AFM is the reason we did so well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back