Silicone patch for rip in ball joint boot

I have a small rip on my 70 A body upper ball joint boot. Joint is ok but was wondering if I could cover over the rip with some kind of Permatex product or just silicone.

I have a small rip on my 70 A body upper ball joint boot. Joint is ok but was wondering if I could cover over the rip with some kind of Permatex product or just silicone.
I doubt over the long term that a patch will last. If you are going to go through the effort to replace the boot, you might as well replace the joint too. If the joint is greasable, I would believe greasing the joint at every oil change should flush out any contamination.

I tried using silicone RTV to patch a partially torn outer CV joint boot around 15 years ago. I used half a tube of the Permatex Ultra Black silicone and let it cure for a week before driving the car. The repair lasted for 3 miles of driving before it came apart. You might have better luck with a urathane based sealant as suggested by Atikovi in post #7; however, it cures into a much stiffer elastomer than silicone sealant.

I'd suggest replacing the boot instead of wasting time and money with a temporary patch.

The OE sealed boot designs usually have the boot fixed to the joint with a circlip or may be mechanically attached to the joint itself. It's extremely hard to find a suitable replacement boot. Energy makes some durable poly boots that can fit as a slip on, but the problem is they'll allow water and grit into the joint. One way to mitigate is to drill a small hole and attach a zerk fitting so that you can flush out the joint periodically.

Back