Sienna sludge???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All-

I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna with 85k miles.

the car has been used mostly for local, non-highway driving. I never noticed the car using oil in until I took it on a 2000 mi. + trip three years ago- mostly highway driving @ 75mph. Then the car was about a quart low at every fill up (400 mi.).

Doing research after that trip is when I learned about the sludge problem with the 2000 Sienna Engines. I started using either Mobil 1 or Castrol synthetic 5w-30, and changing every 5,000 mi. At routine service at the dealership, I asked them to check the engine for sludge and it was fine, or so they said. The car hasn't used oil between changes.

I recently took the car on a another 2000mi. highway trip, and had to add a quart every 400 mi. Is the "missing oil" being burned, or turning to sludge inside my engine? I have never noticed any smoking, black or blue, from this car.

What should I do now? Is one of the "high mileage" oils called for? Which one?

Thanks.

That sounds like fuel dilution burning off. Could be wrong though.
coffee.gif
How old is the PCV valve?

until about 50k, I just used random dino oil- interval was usually 5k, but once I let it go 12k

at 50 k I started using synthetic

I think PCV was replaced @30 & 60k, but I'm not sure

After you check the pcv plumbing you might want to consider an Auto-Rx treatment. Once you're done you'll have a good starting point if you need to do any more trouble shooting. Clean is always better. You might also run something through the fuel to clean the injectors. You could have a leaky one, too.

This engine needs close attention to oci.3000mi. oci with at least a group 3 syn. starting with the first oil change.I did this with my 1MZ engine.It was inspected for sludge at 100K and found very clean .12K on dino is alot for this engine.This is one engine 3K OCI with syn is not overkill.

if PCV were bad, would I necessarily get a check engine light?

what are the advantages of Maxlife HM vs. M1 HM and others?

thanks again

12K on a dino OCI? I cannot imagine sludge not being present in your engine. I have never seen one not sludge with a 10K+ OCI. Did the dealership charge you to inspect the vehicle? Did they remove the valve cover? No valve cover removal=no true inspection IMO. Bite the bullet and spend the $$$ to have it properly inspected if ou have not done so, a free repair may be available to you. TRUST ME.

One more thing, I would be happy to inspect your vehicle for sludge personnally in Columbus. I cannot promise anything more than an inspection though. To many other factors need to be considered, but I will help!

I echo derek. I think you have a sludge problem, not your Sienna. Remind me not to buy your trade in.

Quote:

until about 50k, I just used random dino oil- interval was usually 5k, but once I let it go 12k

Yeah you choked the proverbial sludge chicken and it puked.....Now it's probably been said but you need to get AutoRx and get it now. Probably a triple treatment or try the Pablo's Super Flush Treatment
I would start by changing the oil this evening while waiting for your cleaning supplies to arrive.

Quote:

Try Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30

If he is using that much oil on highway trips, simply changing to Maxlife 5W-30 to help or cure the problem is a ridiculous recommendation considering he has already been using Mobil 1 or Syntec and performing oil changes at reasonable intervals. Personally I would take it to an independent mechanic and have the head pulled off and inspected, the PVC system checked and perhaps a pressure check performed on the cylinders. There is something mechanically wrong with your engine....simply changing to Maxlife will not fix it. In addition, I would run the vehicle on the highway up until you are ready to add oil. Then I would sample it and have Terry take a look at it.

I have never used Auto-RX, but if it were me, I'd try it or possibly a similar product. I see Amsoil makes an engine flush, but I haven't used that either.

Certain Toyota products really should have syn only, at frequent OCIs. This sludge monster may have stuck rings.
I would try Auto RX, and then a really strong oil, like GC or maybe RTS 5W-40.
Good luck, and this is the perfect example of why I always say that Toyotas are but a poor substitute for Hondas.

derek,

I have a '98 Sienna. I think I've read most of the testimonials on the web by Sienna owners that sludged. There were plenty that had their engine chked by a dealership - got the "all clear" and then were sludged a short time later.

Lots of good advice above. However, I'll fire a red flare here in the air for you and hope that Mokanic or another toyota mech will chime in because I think you're in troubled waters.

derek, my own Sienna recently reach 1 qt consumption in the first 1k of an OCI (then subsequent 1 qt in 1.7ks). I just went thru a cleaning process (won't detail it here since you're in deeper and thus your process may vary) - but anyway, I agree with gedcruise above - imo your Sienna (post cleaning) should only see a top shelf anti-oxidative Synth. To this end I personally would pick an oil that is known to have PAO included in the basestock. It can (and probably will) be argued that that's not needed (indeed I could make a good argument that it's not needed and that grp IIIs are presently sufficient) - but regardless it gives me peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back