Sienna sludge???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think John has been using Mobil 1 for the last several OCI's. The issue was a very long OCI (12000 plus miles) that happened a while back. The sludge formed at that time.

I really do not know about you brother.
dunno.gif

Doesn't speak much to Mobil 1 then.

So Mobil 1 was after the incident? I can't be anyone's brother, I'm not made that way.

YES. Read the thread from the beginning. And I see, no brother, my bad. You and you're posts still irk me though most of the time.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think John has been using Mobil 1 for the last several OCI's. The issue was a very long OCI (12000 plus miles) that happened a while back. The sludge formed at that time.

I really do not know about you brother.
dunno.gif

Doesn't speak much to Mobil 1 then.

So Mobil 1 was after the incident? I can't be anyone's brother, I'm not made that way.

YES. Read the thread from the beginning. And I see, no brother, my bad. You and you're posts still irk me though most of the time.

Then why didn't you just answer the question when I asked it?????

Ok. I will try to ignore you. It will end up being non-productive for both of us. You started a mess in another thread of mine because of your unrelenting pesimistic attitude. Let's just get back to the meat and potato's folks.

Just to clarify-

for the last 6 or 7 OCIs, I never went over 5k miles, I used Syntec 5w-30 once or twice, used M1 HM 5w-30 once, and used regular M1 5w-30 for the balance.

My guess is that the engine never would've made it to 85k if I had kept using dino. OTOH, the ability of the above-listed synthetics to clean sludge deposits, as opposed to preventing them, is limited.

I would say that the engine was being cleaned little by little (albeit slowly) by the good quality oils. The oil consumption is the most worrisome. Going low is the death of most Toyota engines I have seen.

Quote:

Ok. I will try to ignore you. It will end up being non-productive for both of us. You started a mess in another thread of mine because of your unrelenting pesimistic attitude. Let's just get back to the meat and potato's folks.

Not true at all.

I'm suprised by how little 'cleaning' the syn oil did. Even if they don't clean like a flush or Auto-RX does, I'd expect a constant (5k) infusion of fresh Mobil 1 or syntec to slowly 'wash out' all that sludge....

I'm seeing more and more evidence all the time that 3k oil changes aren't really a thing of the past - maybe they aren't this bad, but how many city-driven cars that live their life on 4-5k dino changes will have some sludge in them? A lot more than we probably suspect!

Quote:

I'm suprised by how little 'cleaning' the syn oil did. Even if they don't clean like a flush or Auto-RX does, I'd expect a constant (5k) infusion of fresh Mobil 1 or syntec to slowly 'wash out' all that sludge....

I'm seeing more and more evidence all the time that 3k oil changes aren't really a thing of the past - maybe they aren't this bad, but how many city-driven cars that live their life on 4-5k dino changes will have some sludge in them? A lot more than we probably suspect!

It just gets flat out baked on. You know those touchless car washes? Nothing really beats an actual hand scrubbing ya know? Sometimes you just have to go to that extent.

OhioSienna,

If your sludgeing problem looks really bad I'd take it to the dealership and see if they can give it a good flushing. If they're aware of the problem in some Toyota engines then I'm sure they would have some sort of flushing device to get your engine very clean inside. The thought of M1 slowly cleaning the insides might be a good thing as one doesn't want the filter to get clogged. I too have been thinking about flushing my own 89' Camry 4 cylinder engine out but since I've used M1 since after the first breaking in period I always held off. Perhaps it's about time.

Durango
usa2.gif

Just a friendly reminder to everyone to read the whole thread (or at least most of it if you can) before replying. Good things happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back