sick of my flipflops wearing out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
would the thread from something like X-ICE XI3 help with traction on ice or snow? I wear sandals, not flip flops or thongs but with the current freezing weather I have to be careful outside.

You don't need additives. Just make sure the ones you buy have the snowflake symbol on the sidewall:

Mountain%20Snowflake%20(small).jpg

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
would the thread from something like X-ICE XI3 help with traction on ice or snow? I wear sandals, not flip flops or thongs but with the current freezing weather I have to be careful outside.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Fsharp
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Fsharp
^^^^ Also wearing sandals keep you from getting toenail fungus in the first place or stinky feet because your feet can dry out and get some air.

That's completely incorrect. The openness of sandals in public exposes your feet and nails bacteria, fungus, feces and other materials that are in public areas.

No more so than any other exposed body part unless you're actually stepping in feces that squelches up around the sides of your sandal and onto your foot. I do know that fungus doesn't like dry air and sunlight.

Quote:
They also accentuate heel-strike impact because of the poor padding, negatively alter your bio-mechanics when you walk, negatively affect your posture, cause the wearer to take shorter steps, and lead to repetitive stress on the ankle and foot.

There's a good reason why people who understand what happens with the foot while walking or running don't wear flip flops or sandals.

21.gif

Here's a pic from when my gorgeous daughter was weeks old.

scan0001-2.jpg

Tell me please that Popivit's shoes would have been cleaner...
Babies are awesome congratulations.

Got to admit that I'm enamoured with the word "Jandal" that the kiwis use...Jandal to the metal etc.

That's how Silk gets to work in summer, Wellies in winter.

Have put a few km on them the last few days. A few blisters, as I've not worn them for ages.

Very heavy...probably a good thing, unnoticeable after 20 paces or so.

But (and I'm not joking), the wet weather grip is phenomenal. Here in town, they put polished concrete pavers up main street and associated lanes and plazas, and they are diabolical in the wet, especially when your slicks (thongs OR uggies...or even nice leather dress shoes) demonstrate hydrodynamic lubrication (have even seen the rubber stoppers on an old lady's walking frame scoot out.

The robust tread really helps...I though that the hard rubber might be a hinderance, but it's not.

Originally Posted By: SR5

Got to admit that I'm enamoured with the word "Jandal" that the kiwis use...Jandal to the metal etc.

That's how Silk gets to work in summer, Wellies in winter.

Gumboots mate. Red Bands, or knee height rolled down to half height. My father used to mow the lawns in lace up gumboots with no laces...now I mow the lawns in lace up gumboots with no laces. But my lace up gumboots have a steel toe and shank - blisterd with gorse thorns as I used to ride fire breaks with them, going through regrowth on the XR200 in 5th gear.

Kiwi's invented the flip-flop. Jandal comes from Japanese sandal...some guy saw them in Japan, and made rubber ones in his shed. Very much part of our culture - jandals, beer and the beach. Once we bought a box of 100 pairs of jandals at Xmas, something to pull out when Whanau (extended family) give you a present you weren't expecting...'ah, what size do you take ?'

Originally Posted By: Silk

- jandals, beer and the beach.

That sounds pretty good to me !!

Originally Posted By: Silk

Kiwi's invented the flip-flop. Jandal comes from Japanese sandal...some guy saw them in Japan, and made rubber ones in his shed.

If it can be make by man, a Kiwi can make a home made one in his shed.

I'm waiting for the Kiwi copy of the CERN atom smasher. Made with bits and pieces found for free at the local dump.

"Higgs Boson you say ?.......yeah I got one of them, I think the young fella is playing with it"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR5
If it can be make by man, a Kiwi can make a home made one in his shed.

Comes from living for hundreds of years not being able to get things the rest of the world took for granted. We saw it in a magazine, and made our own. My grandfather saw a bailer at a show, or magazine, went out to the shed and made his own...pretty flash to have a hay bailer down on the farm in those days. My mother remembers working the bellows in his forge while he beat the steel.

Back in the late '60's and early '70's, if someone got hold of a pair of Levis, after they wouldn't stay together no matter how many patches, they cut the label off and sewed it onto a pair of local jeans...or sold the label so someone else could have a pair of Levis.

Got my Christmas/Bday present from my sister today.

Initial review is not positive, as there was a lot of shedding...but surprisingly comfortable for the few minutes that I've worn them. The possibilities of tyre tread and toes on the grass are inspiring...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back