Shut Down Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dell XPS laptop suddenly won't fully shut down. When I try to do a shut down it appears to nearly do so, but bounces back up like a rubber ball on startup. I'm not really computer savvy and will appreciate some feedback here. Thanks to all.

After it shuts down push and hold the power button for 5 seconds. That's supposed to be as close as you can get to a real power off.

I've seen this before on laptops, usually as a result of a flaky driver that's not responding to the "kill" signal. I would visit the Dell support page and grab the latest copies of all the drivers.

Also, make sure you haven't switched to one of the power settings like "always on" or "highest performance" as those sometimes do weird things too.

I had installed Driver Update. I removed it and that didn't solve the problem of the laptop doing a restart each time I tried to shut down. What is working is the suggestion of remaining on the shut down button. It still tries to restart but does not follow through and does the shut down. That will work for me. Thanks much.

Windows XP? Vista? Win7? Win8?

(Don't tell us you're running Windows 95! lol)

I've found this to work most times (and helpful in Win8 w/o a start menu)

Right Click on an empty part of the desktop, Click New > Shortcut.

Paste this into the box:

shutdown -s -f -t 00

Click Next, then Finish.

Now double click it. It should shutdown immediately. If not, further digging/troubleshooting is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back