Shower Systems

Just chattin here...

Plan on doing a shower system like Kerdi, Wedi, TileReady. I'm hoping to do it. I'm fine with the tile but has anyone
any experience installing the system and advice/recommendations? They all seem pretty similar and I know like everything
"depends who installed it".

I've done showers with Schluter Kerdi.

The styrofoam shower pan and drain system beats the heck out of messing around with a traditional mortar bed and PVC membrane.

Follow the instructions, use unmodified thinset when the instructions say to use it, and use the 1/8" square notch trowel when setting the membrane. Hardest part is fully embedding the membrane into the thinset and working out all the bubbles, but you'll figure it out pretty quick.

It's really as easy as just following the instructions.

oAtHrBJh.jpg

6TGh7k1h.jpg

I've never done a shower, the kerdi system looks nice, but I know it's pricey. What about using the kerdi base and then use cement board with the red sealant that appears to be pretty good at waterproofing it?

I'd also get a lazer level to make sure the tiles are nice and square. There are also those things that are used for levelling tiles with a wedge, I'd use that on wall tiles to get everything nice and flush.

Thanks for the info! I watched a lot of youtube videos on it and I do have some experience with tiles/mortar.

Is the plumbing part difficult? I probably can't do the drain but in terms of setting height or plumber handles all that?

I’ve used the Schluter-KERDI system, including the foam floor pan and curb. Great system, although I’m sure all the competing brands are just as good. Homelux, Prova, etc.

I just watched a bunch of YouTube videos and it was pretty straightforward.

The hardest part was setting the floor drain since the drain was in the basement and under concrete. Kinda get “one shot” to get it right.

I’d also not skimp on any accessories. I custom made one shower niche and used their pre-made niche for the other. The pre-made one turned out cleaner, and was easier to tile because everything was straighter.

D39B1194-6804-444E-8F6B-F8612D351577.jpeg

3BDDFF01-0587-4F3C-8F27-AB417DBC207A.jpeg

I've done showers with Schluter Kerdi.

The styrofoam shower pan and drain system beats the heck out of messing around with a traditional mortar bed and PVC membrane.

Follow the instructions, use unmodified thinset when the instructions say to use it, and use the 1/8" square notch trowel when setting the membrane. Hardest part is fully embedding the membrane into the thinset and working out all the bubbles, but you'll figure it out pretty quick.

It's really as easy as just following the instructions.

oAtHrBJh.jpg

6TGh7k1h.jpg
The walls didn't come out straight. Was Stevie Wonder reading the level? :LOL:
Or, is that the way it's supposed to be? :unsure:

The walls didn't come out straight. Was Stevie Wonder reading the level? :LOL:
Or, is that the way it's supposed to be? :unsure:

Distortion from the camera. In order to get the whole shower in one photo, I had to do an up-and-down panorama which made a pronounced wobbly fisheye effect.

Mine has the cement board and concrete pan. It's 4 1/2 X 8 1/4 feet. A true 2 person shower with built in body sprays. It's been pretty darn good and has held up well for 20 years.

I did not install valves for the body sprays. They are simply "T"d into the showerhead plumbing. Simple and easy. I love it.

Our house has Sterling caulk free surrounds. Its actually a pretty good product, much less fancy than a tile surround but no caulk and easy to clean. If I were building a custom shower and want to save some time I would consider that. The pieces basically click together and have gaskets to keep them waterproof.

I've done one shower with the full Wedi system (floor, curb, walls) and another with a Swanstone solid surface base/curb and Wedi for the walls. Pretty easy to use and foolproof if you follow the directions. Both use a simple drain connection with a rubber donut sort of seal around the piping so quite easy to set.

The foam boards like Wedi or Kerdi board are much lighter than cement board or drywall, easy to cut, and inherently waterproof so you don't need to bother with plastic sheets, a paint on waterproofing, etc. The only reason not to use them is if you're really tight on funds.

John Bridge forum is the place to go for this subject.

jeff

Back