Show me your pedals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moribundman
Oh, and like Mark, I do not dress up in spandex topped by a pteranodon brain bucket.

NO ONE needs to, nor should they be wearing a "pterandon brain bucket" unless they are riding solo (or in a team time trial/team pursuit) against the clock.
In fact, they are verboten in all massed start races!!

Same goes for a skin suit, with the exception of cyclocross riders who only wear them because they don't get weighed down with wet mud from the courses, and don't catch branches/posts/fence wires, etc. as readily as a looser jersey does.

About 90% of the road bicyclists and mountain bikers that I see here are dressed like they are participating in the Tour de Bozo.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
When I'm leaning into curves, I tend to have the pedals at the down position on the same side I'm turning. Probably a bad habit but it feels more stable to turn that way.

That's indeed a dangerous habit. Stop doing that. Keep the crank arms parallel to the road when you are not pedaling.

Quote:
Plus that bike has a smaller frame and has less clearance from the frame to the ground. Its easy to bottom out and hit the bottom bracket area.

Do you prefer bottoming out with the pedal in a curve?
shocked2.gif

About 90% of the road bicyclists and mountain bikers that I see here are dressed like they are participating in the Tour de Bozo.

I prefer to call it a costume, kinda like when you were a kid and wore spiderman underwear. I see people around here wearing full "factory" costumes including the shoe covers.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
like when you were a kid and wore spiderman underwear.

I did not!
grin2.gif

About 90% of that 90% are probably poseurs. At least they are around here. Whatever amount of time they spend on their bikes is equaled or exceeded by the time they spend sitting in Starbucks in their costumes talking about their bikes.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
When I'm leaning into curves, I tend to have the pedals at the down position on the same side I'm turning. Probably a bad habit but it feels more stable to turn that way.

That's indeed a dangerous habit. Stop doing that. Keep the crank arms parallel to the road when you are not pedaling.

Quote:
Plus that bike has a smaller frame and has less clearance from the frame to the ground. Its easy to bottom out and hit the bottom bracket area.

Do you prefer bottoming out with the pedal in a curve?
shocked2.gif

Better to put the "outside" pedal down and put weight on it.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Better to put the "outside" pedal down and put weight on it.

Well, yes, but I'm thinking baby steps, a gradual change, here!

I prefer to call it a costume, kinda like when you were a kid and wore spiderman underwear. I see people around here wearing full "factory" costumes including the shoe covers.

The only jerseys with any lettering/graphics I currently own are 2 with ONLY my bike frame manufacturer's logo on them.
NO 'pro' or trade team jerseys/clothing here.

But, if I did not ride in real bib shorts, I would not be able to walk very far after a long ride.
They DO serve a real function/purpose if you ride faster than a walking pace, or futher than 25 miles at a time!!

I don't have any issues with wearing the proper gear. I wear bike shorts under regular shorts myself and can see how a good jersey could be beneficial.

My issues are with the folks wearing every stitch of "officially licensed" costume they buy from the the vendors at the race. When you have grey hair and are riding in a group of 10 folks each weighing 200 lbs I know you don't ride for Kodak-Sierra Nevada even though your shoe covers claim that you do.
We have alot of cycling and cycling tourism around here, I see alot of this.

I don't have any issues with wearing the proper gear. I wear bike shorts under regular shorts myself and can see how a good jersey could be beneficial.

My issues are with the folks wearing every stitch of "officially licensed" costume they buy from the the vendors at the race. When you have grey hair and are riding in a group of 10 folks each weighing 200 lbs I know you don't ride for Kodak-Sierra Nevada even though your shoe covers claim that you do.

I don't have any issue w/ the 'poseurs'; they are FANS. they want to look the part, just as NASCAR fans wear the logos of their favorites. same w/ harley riders. many people like to get the whole 'outfit', matching bike and clothing, nothing wrong w/ that. anyone spending money in cycling is good for the sport/culture/lifestyle. I don't think any of them intend to fool you into thinking they are professional cyclists.

Don't worry, I think they look funny too.

It's possible to be a big fan without being a big consumer.

You can spend your money and look how you want to look. IMHO you look silly when you dress up into something you are not. just my opinion though.

Originally Posted By: mpvue

I don't have any issue w/ the 'poseurs'; they are FANS. they want to look the part, just as NASCAR fans wear the logos of their favorites. same w/ harley riders. many people like to get the whole 'outfit', matching bike and clothing, nothing wrong w/ that. anyone spending money in cycling is good for the sport/culture/lifestyle. I don't think any of them intend to fool you into thinking they are professional cyclists.

I kind of agree.

But even when I did wear some trade team 'kit' (when I was MUCH younger/faster and still racing/able to ride a 55 minute or better 25 mile TT), I NEVER, EVER would have DARED to wear ANY of the various 'Grand Tour' leader's jersies!!! :no-no:

In fact, I even avoided non trade team/no print jersies that were mostly yellow, out of extreme due respect for those who actually earn the rights to wear that color in the world's greatest sporting event!!!

I just feel better when I'm dressed properly; well, depends on the ride also. street clothes and helmet when I'm w/ the kids. but for a full on road ride? 8 panel shorts, colorful wicking jersey, short cycling socks w/ my shimano carbon soled shoes, the whole setup. it just feels right. I would always say a cyclist looks foolish off the bike, but looks right on the bike.
never had a yellow jesey, but I understand those that want one- they think it's COOL.

mpvue; do you ever get to go to the Friday night "Festivals Of Speed" at the T-Town (I'm 'old school' and still call it that) velodrome??

I'll be out that way tomorrow night and I'm going.
It looks like it's mostly Match Sprints, short scratch races and a short Madison on the schedule.

I work literally 5 minutes from the track; but, no, I haven't been there in years. I worked as a bike tech for many years, I guess the novelty of bikes has worn off.

Wow this topic changed from pedals to bike clothing. I've seen a few people wear those construction reflective vest.

I just wear regular clothes when I ride. Jeans, hooded sweatshirt, running shoes just like a typical commuter.

I've got these:

eggsl.jpg

Came on the bike, which I bought from a buddy of mine who moved. Waiting for the cleats to arrive.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back