2001 Litespeed Owl Hollow

Y'all:

I built this bike in 2001 while living in Colorado. After 22 years of ownership I have put less than 200 miles on it. Shameful, if not sinful.

The Owl Hollow was legendary in its day, the down tube formed with 6/4 welded Ti sheet. Frame size is what Litespeed called Extra Large. It has a 9 speed Shimano XTR gruppo. Rockshox SID fork (air) and Rockshox seat post. Rims are Mavic ceramic. King Ti cages.

I just replaced the rear derailleur (with Deore, the only one available) because the springs on the XTR derailleur had gotten soft. I also re-cabled everything, put on new brake pads, new tires, tubes and rim tape, and a new chain and cassette with ones I had sitting in stock for the last 15+ years.

I'm interested in selling it. It works and rides as flawlessly as it looks. It needs NOTHING because it's pretty much a BRAND NEW bike. Includes spares, including BNIB Crank Bros platform pedals.

$3,000.

Scott

IMG_8096.jpeg
IMG_8084.jpeg
IMG_8085.jpeg
IMG_8086.jpeg
IMG_8087.jpeg
IMG_8088.jpeg
IMG_8089.jpeg
IMG_8091.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow Scott, nice ride. Even your bicycles are as clean as your cars!

Love those vintage hardtails and built my own Too. One of the last OR framesets that Keith Bontager still hand-brazed. Probably 1987ish. All Shimao XTR drivetrain with Rapidfire shifters. Chris King BB and headset. Swapped in a Rockshox SD elastomer suspension fork with aftermarket carbon fiber brace. Pauls cantilevers (amazing stopping power) on Bontager blues with Kore hubs, Kore stem, Bontrager seatpost and bars. Onza tires and other bits with Ride-On kevlar cables throughout. Shimano SPDs and MTB cleats. Bike is well tuned and still in amazing condition. I still ride it weekly and was my MTB racer when I had my NORBA numbers.

Wow Scott, nice ride. Even your bicycles are as clean as your cars!

Love those vintage hardtails and built my own Too. One of the last OR framesets that Keith Bontager still hand-brazed. Probably 1987ish. All Shimao XTR drivetrain with Rapidfire shifters. Chris King BB and headset. Swapped in a Rockshox SD elastomer suspension fork with aftermarket carbon fiber brace. Pauls cantilevers (amazing stopping power) on Bontager blues with Kore hubs, Kore stem, Bontrager seatpost and bars. Onza tires and other bits with Ride-On kevlar cables throughout. Shimano SPDs and MTB cleats. Bike is well tuned and still in amazing condition. I still ride it weekly and was my MTB racer when I had my NORBA numbers.
Your list of components is like a trip down memory lane!

Scott

Back