Should turbos be avoided for longevity?

turbo gasoline engines never impressed me. higher EGTs wear turbos faster, and gasoline engines tend to run lower boost than a comparable diesel, so you can't really use all the capacity of the turbo without breaking stuff. turbo diesels have lower EGTs, can handle More boost (most diesels can do 30 psi) and get better gas mileage when you aren't using the turbo. I've seen turbos with 350,000+ miles that still work great, and I've seen turbos with shot seals and bearings after 50,000 miles. the worn turbos were ko4s on a turbo gdi mazda that was riced out and driven by a young guy. also a surprising number of diesel turbos are still oil cooled

I have been car shopping and it seems most all cars have turbos on them now days should any car be avoided with one if you want longevity? I keep my cars until i hit 300,000 to 400,000 miles as i drive a lot.

For most people the turbos probably don't affect as most people don't keep there cars long enough to have it die but i do. My buddy says that little 1.5L gas engines with a turbo will never last 300k-400k as it's a small motor with added stress from the turbo and naturally aspirated engine is the way to go for longevity and no repair bills.

Is he right or full of it?

If you buy new they can work out ok, but if you buy used you're much more likely to buy another's problems. Clean oil at all times, and good air filtration are key.

I would be more concerned about fuel dilution than turbo wearing out today assuming it is a stock engine with turbo from the factory. Of course you have to buy from a reputable brand / model instead of one from a low quality brand and model.

My bigger concern is will it depreciate worse than an NA engine car? It probably would unless it is a Corolla or Camry.

A turbo is merely another complication with potential failure points. Turbos are not THAT expensive to replace. I've never had a turbo die on me in over 20 years. As for cool-down, don't most turbo engines keep circulating coolant for a while after the engine has been shut down?

EVERYTHING made today is prone to wear in time!! my 200 thou 1.8T 2001 jetta was great at trade in for another more powerful 1.8T 2001 audi TT both oil + water cooled turbos that got REAL synthetic oil + my TT has an after run pump that circulates water until sensor shuts it off. simpler is better IMO + you can add CVT trannys that cost almost as much as an engine + not to mention direct injection that the valves WILL eventually need cleaning + all the qizmos everyone wants. as one member noted KISS keep it simple stupid, good luck is necessary with any vehicle purchase these days as they continue to be MORE complicated.

You sure about that? What about the tundra twin turbos waste gate fail. There are complaints about fords eco boost all over and Hondas 1.5L CRV oil dilution.
I have a turbo VW that is at over 2x stock power, tracked, going on 5 years/100K without turbo failure with a larger OE turbo. There were some noted failures with the waste gates on some VWs however but is it "really common"? I'd say no as a percentage. How many F-150s/Fords with that twin turbo 6? Define "all over". What is teh failure rate of the Tundra waste gate issues? Who owns a vehicle to 400K and doens't need to spend several thousand in repairs? I just feel like all of this stuff is over-hyped paranoia. Until someone can show me data supporting this, I feel like it's at a level similar to other issues vehicles have/had had over time.

Anybody want bet that if you tried to turn off your engine with the turbo hot - it wouldn't .
The ecu will prevent a doofus from generating a warranty claim.

Which is what Audi tried to tackle in the Type 44's circa 1986 with their after-run system. An electric water pump kept circulating coolant and the electric rad fan kept running.

In typical Audi/Lucas Electric fashion it was wildly unreliable and failure-prone ;)
My 2000 S4 Audi had the electric after run water pump. It was a Bosch plastic unit and some smart designer put it UNDER the intake manifold. Yep it failed/leaked ..like all the Audi after run pumps.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
IMO odds are your buddy is right, if you want to get to 300-400k without a major repair. 2.5 NA 4 cyl has enough grunt for midsize car or small SUV to go the distance, or a 2.0L in a compact car. You might still get a head gasket or timing chain issue, but it should be less stressed overall.
Preferably you would go manual trans too, I'd get the last year of a Focus, keep the rust away and drive it.
A good number of the latest Focuses for the North American market scored one out of five in reliability by Consumer Reports. I am not sure if you are suggesting that there is some manual, normally aspirated version of this car that is reliable apart from "rust" as the magic formula for reliability. The focus may be a nice driving car, but should not be part of any reliability discussion.

Reactions: hrv
I have a turbo VW that is at over 2x stock power, tracked, going on 5 years/100K without turbo failure with a larger OE turbo. There were some noted failures with the waste gates on some VWs however but is it "really common"? I'd say no as a percentage. How many F-150s/Fords with that twin turbo 6? Define "all over". What is teh failure rate of the Tundra waste gate issues? Who owns a vehicle to 400K and doens't need to spend several thousand in repairs? I just feel like all of this stuff is over-hyped paranoia. Until someone can show me data supporting this, I feel like it's at a level similar to other issues vehicles have/had had over time.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/maint-repair-costs-per-mile.358769/#post-6211802 ;)
Capture.JPG

So far your cheapest car to run has been the NA and simplest one. The Atlas has been doing very well too though! Is it the 2.0T?
Does anyone have an example of newer smaller displacement gas car/suv with a reputation as bullet proof? I can think of a few NA engines that generally outlast the rest of the car, but my knowledge of cheaper car turbo engines is sparse, other than a few with less than stellar reputations.
In the absence of any concrete examples of bullet proof small turbos, and knowing there are a few NA engines that do have that reputation, given the goal of 400k without major repairs, I would pick the NA engine.
For sure, if you aren't doing those miles and a $1800 repair isn't a big deal, get whatever you like, most people do.

Last edited:
No. Turbos are not to be avoided.

Well maintained turbos can last the expected duration of the engine and sometimes more.

At some point it can become a maintenance item, but that does not necessarily mean added cost as the turbo is typically offset by the parts delta between a 4 and a 6 or between a 6 and an 8 in a rebuild scenario.

A good number of the latest Focuses for the North American market scored one out of five in reliability by Consumer Reports. I am not sure if you are suggesting that there is some manual, normally aspirated version of this car that is reliable apart from "rust" as the magic formula for reliability. The focus may be a nice driving car, but should not be part of any reliability discussion.
B/c that rating is 100% related to the DCT trans. That's it and it was a train wreck of a trans. I have a 2013, NA GDI 2.0 Focus 5 speed. 125K/10 years bought new. Without a doubt the lowest cost/most reliable vehicle that I've ever owned. Son is driving it now. I beg to differ with you here. The NA manual Focus may be the most reliable car on the planet AHHAHAHA

20210520_142622.jpg

Are there more parts than with a NA vehicle, and by association more things that can go wrong? Sure. Do they? Rarely.

My Evo VIII and Santa Fe Sport 2.0T were two of the most reliable high mileage vehicles I've ever owned.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/maint-repair-costs-per-mile.358769/#post-6211802 ;)
View attachment 155533
So far your cheapest car to run has been the NA and simplest one. The Atlas has been doing very well too though! Is it the 2.0T?
Does anyone have an example of newer smaller displacement gas car/suv with a reputation as bullet proof? I can think of a few NA engines that generally outlast the rest of the car, but my knowledge of cheaper car turbo engines is sparse, other than a few with less than stellar reputations.
In the absence of any concrete examples of bullet proof small turbos, and knowing there are a few NA engines that do have that reputation, given the goal of 400k without major repairs, I would pick the NA engine.
For sure, if you aren't doing those miles and a $1800 repair isn't a big deal, get whatever you like, most people do.
Atlas is a 3.6 NA VR6. The turbo car here, my Sportwagen, should not be used for this convo beyond that it's been v. durable at >2x stock power. The maintenance on this car is based on my modifications, not the car as purchased. It's effectively a street-driven race car at this point. I have more than what I bought it for into in modifications....

The Atlas has had a water pump replaced at less than 50K miles but covered under warranty so that cost isn't reflected here. VWs and water pumps....a serendipitous combination. W8 is NA, that's the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned. Lexus is solid, if you added up my parent's cost to own as we got it from them, it would likely rival the Focus.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Back