Should turbos be avoided for longevity?

Not many people are going from 6K RPM to zero. Your turbo winds down as you slow down approaching where you live and the coolant pump that runs after handles all of this. This is 2023, not 1985.
Sounds like a job for a thicker boutique oil. Definitely a turbo timer, maybe oil cooler and or bigger oil pan.

That sound you're hearing is the coolant pump for the circuit that runs through the air-to-water cooler mounted to the intake, the radiator for the turbo and intake-mounted intercooler. It runs for approximately 3-1/2 minutes. You can see this pump if you change the oil in this vehicle, right next to the oil pan.
Must be electric pump... aux? Around 2002 there were some front wheel drive , small , non turbo high rev engines that came with two temp controlled cooling fans. I read that one of them came on when the a/c compressor was first engaged. The other was part of the temp controlled engine cooling set up. Lots of times on very hot days I would hear a fan kicking on and off after the wife parked in garage. This was a 2002 car and I have not seen any cars since then that a fan turns on after engine shutdown. Seemed like a good idea. Wonder why they eliminated that set up? Battery drain? Better cooling system design? Maybe they still have some in use ???

Turbo. Cool down. Time.

When you pull into the parking spot, take a moment to gather your things, check your pockets, or do whatever... then shut the engine off.
This is really really important when you've been driving on the highway for a long time and pull off at a rest stop.

Or, install a turbo timer.
I do this all the time once I get home. I slowed down while entering the subdivision to cool down the turbo.

I have an interesting case study that just started....my buddy bought a brand new F-150 Tremor w/3.5 Ecoboost. He is a high mileage driver (30-40K/year) and only has his vehicles serviced at the dealer. I will confirm this weekend but I believe he does 7.5K changes with whatever oil the dealer uses - here it may be 5W20 in that 3.5. He will likely have this north of 200K and has had multiple 200K+ F-150s with the NA 5.0 over the years. This is his first turbo. EDIT - I believe this is spec'd for the 5W30 so the thickie cult can rejoice! Either way...long term turbo use will be interesting to follow.

Last edited:
I have an interesting case study that just started....my buddy bought a brand new F-150 Tremor w/3.5 Ecoboost. He is a high mileage driver (30-40K/year) and only has his vehicles serviced at the dealer. I will confirm this weekend but I believe he does 7.5K changes with whatever oil the dealer uses - here it may be 5W20 in that 3.5. He will likely have this north of 200K and has had multiple 200K+ F-150s with the NA 5.0 over the years. This is his first turbo. EDIT - I believe this is spec'd for the 5W30 so the thickie cult can rejoice! Either way...long term turbo use will be interesting to follow.
It just fell that way (and I am glad) that all of my Fords, the F150s and my full size Bronco all came with the 5.0 engines. I cant speak to lately (Ford Quality is Job #1) anymore but those 5.0 engines were the best truck engines I ever owned. Now throw a turbo in and I am
not sure. I have heard a lot of moaning over Ford engines as of late. Many of them no one wants to even work on in some locals. A shame to take great companies and run them into the ground.

It just fell that way (and I am glad) that all of my Fords, the F150s and my full size Bronco all came with the 5.0 engines. I cant speak to lately (Ford Quality is Job #1) anymore but those 5.0 engines were the best truck engines I ever owned. Now throw a turbo in and I am
not sure. I have heard a lot of moaning over Ford engines as of late. Many of them no one wants to even work on in some locals. A shame to take great companies and run them into the ground.
I had several F-150 company trucks in over the last ~10 years so a few generations old now, all with the 5.0. Great engine/no issues. I have driving the 3.5 twin turbo, it makes more power and you can tune it easily for more power. I'm sure they are fine...we'll see how he goes!

I have enjoyed owning turbocharged everything. My signature used to be “Turbo’s Rule”. However someone here pointed out that I made many so grammatical errors in my various posts that it was difficult in general to understand what I was saying and said it was difficult to tell if I meant that multiple turbos rule the world or if it was a singular turbo that rules or if ….. 😂

I enjoy boosted engines, that’s for sure. With a good number of high HP examples. Given the choice, I would almost always choose a turbocharged engine over a normally aspirated one.

How does the cost of turbo replacement compare to other components that could fail on a NA engine during the same life cycle? That's another consideration. Any car is going to break something and possibly even something significant during that many miles.

I’m a fan of turbos in luxury and performance cars. I’m not a fan of turbos in economy cars where the output is still mediocre and part of the attractiveness of the car is simplicity and reliability. I don’t think turbocharged engines are inherently unreliable, but is is undeniable that increased complexity leads to higher failure rate / lower MTBF.

Must be electric pump... aux? Around 2002 there were some front wheel drive , small , non turbo high rev engines that came with two temp controlled cooling fans. I read that one of them came on when the a/c compressor was first engaged. The other was part of the temp controlled engine cooling set up. Lots of times on very hot days I would hear a fan kicking on and off after the wife parked in garage. This was a 2002 car and I have not seen any cars since then that a fan turns on after engine shutdown. Seemed like a good idea. Wonder why they eliminated that set up? Battery drain? Better cooling system design? Maybe they still have some in use ???

Yes it's an electric pump. Motorcraft Part# PW539.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2
All other things being equal I prefer the simplest mechanism available to perform the task. My 2017 Titan is the only vehicle with an automatic transmission I’ve ever bought, primarily because that was the only option. Maybe I’ll be ready for a turbo in 2040.

I can’t speak for every make but all modern turbocharged BMWs will run aux electric coolant pumps and the fan after shutoff for several minutes if deemed necessary.

I’m a fan of turbos in luxury and performance cars. I’m not a fan of turbos in economy cars where the output is still mediocre and part of the attractiveness of the car is simplicity and reliability. I don’t think turbocharged engines are inherently unreliable, but is is undeniable that increased complexity leads to higher failure rate / lower MTBF.
Yea, if I were Honda, I’d drop the Euro-style downsizing silliness and gone all-in with hybrids, like Toyota did. Toyota did downsize and go with TGDI with Lexus and the Tundra/Sequoia as well as the Highlander/RX - because it’s competitors(F-150/Silverado and the Explorer/X5/Q5/GLE) are also downsized TGDI. The Lexus NX is turbo but not the RAV4 it’s based on, again it competes with the Q3/X2-3/Mini Countryman/GLC.

Now, Subaru has downsized but they were always a “niche” player and Toyota has traditionally gone turbo on “sporty” models - the GR Corolla being one such.

All of you pilots can chime in here. Many reciprocating powered aircraft have had turbochargers since the 60's. I remember both the Beech Turbo Baron twin, and the Turbo Cessna 210 Centurion advertising a 30,000 ft. service ceiling back then.

Do any of you know if there were additional maintenance procedures on those aircraft compared to their non turbocharged counterparts? And what the hour ratings were on the turbos before they had to be replaced? Also, how do they fair on the used aircraft market today?

Were they substantially more expensive to own and operate than non turbos in the same aircraft? Also, has the new aircraft market started shying away from turbos? I never remember hearing or reading that turbocharged aircraft engines caused a higher engine failure rate.

Aircraft have a "built in" cool down procedure, in that they run a reduced power setting from descent, to landing, and taxi, all the way to shutdown. But other than that there really isn't much difference.

I suppose one could make an argument that the build quality of an aircraft turbo is more substantial in an aircraft engine, over some cheap, tinny, turbocharged econobox with shopping cart wheels.

if you would get on YouTube and look about the new Camaros that are coming out it's like an 8 minute video. all the oil caps on all of the models that are gasoline powered of course say 5W30. I was shocked but I have a feeling that somebody sat down with somebody and said not look here. a lot of the Ford trucks that were specced for 5W20 had a lot of issues solved by going back to 5W30.

I think his turbo will last a long time on this new pickup if it's a long drive and he's not going to Hot rod it. I think 5w30 is a legitimate weight at the low end and I know even in Hyundai a lot of those in the instruction manual said you could use 10W30 and I rightfully so would even in a Ford truck with a turbo if it was extremely hot and I was towing. I'm sure at the end of its life and to keep your compression up it would probably do okay on 0w40.

Back