Should turbos be avoided for longevity?

turbo gasoline engines never impressed me. higher EGTs wear turbos faster, and gasoline engines tend to run lower boost than a comparable diesel, so you can't really use all the capacity of the turbo without breaking stuff. turbo diesels have lower EGTs, can handle More boost (most diesels can do 30 psi) and get better gas mileage when you aren't using the turbo. I've seen turbos with 350,000+ miles that still work great, and I've seen turbos with shot seals and bearings after 50,000 miles. the worn turbos were ko4s on a turbo gdi mazda that was riced out and driven by a young guy. also a surprising number of diesel turbos are still oil cooled
How hot do gasoline egts run? It's my understanding the gasoline egts don't really cool off at an idle like a diesel does. On a diesel you're at 3-400 as soon as you get stopped usually

gas cars run an egt under boost of about 1500 degrees. diesels usually stay under 1000. both can get to 1800 f EGTs if you go fast under constant heavy load, and 1800 degrees is where you start to cook stuff. im sure most cars have limits to keep you from running high EGTs for long periods of time

Scotty Kilmer just posted another video about turbos on the new tundra blowing up at 15,000 miles.

Your buddy is wrong.

Wife’s car is nearing 300,000 miles.

Original turbo, engine, and transmission.
Yeah, I believe you're a pro mechanic- that helps alot. An in-house mechanic to maintain and service- that car should last 1M miles LOL. How many ppl got that?

Last edited:
Yeah, I believe you're a pro mechanic- that helps alot. An in-house mechanic to maintain and service- that car should last 1M miles LOL. How many ppl got that?
You make a valid point.

If I was not able to do complex and/or heavy work, we would’ve bought and driven much newer cars.

My son‘s 2001 Volvo V70T5 is a good example of what you’re saying. Bought it in 2018 with 72,000 miles. Replaced the transmission valve body, rebuilt the suspension, replaced brakes, added an R model manifold, down pipe and cat back exhaust, replaced water pump and timing belt, as well as the rest of the cooling system. All new filters and fluids. All new vacuum hoses. Dropped the sump and replaced the oil pickup orings and cleaned out the PCV ports. New PCV system piping. New compression bypass valve on the turbo, adjusted the waste gate. Had @Trav do the injectors. New spark plugs. New battery. Starter and alternator rebuilt. AC compressor clutch re-shimmed and system charged. New engine mounts.

Five years later - it is still being driven daily. It’s been dead reliable. Not one break down.

In all, it got about $4K in new parts, and several hundred hours of labor (not charged). If I had to pay for that labor out of pocket, the car would make no sense.

But, back to the original topic, the engine, transmission and turbo are original in that car. Those are solid parts, that, in and of themselves, are reliable. I took the steps to replace all the “soft“ stuff that had worn or aged on the car, to bring it back to a baseline where I thought it would be reliable.

I couldn’t, or wouldn’t, have done that if the basic parts of the car: frame, engine, transmission, and yes, turbo, were not completely reliable themselves.

In my originally post i was referring to small engines with turbos 1.5L.

Not 2.5L and so on.

7n0wsv.jpg

We did 14yrs/240k since new on a 2005 Legacy GT(turbo) wagon using Dino oil change every 4k-5k. Sold for few thousand as we wanted to move on.

Original turbo was fine. Some of the the oil lines started leaking the end which was smelly .

No idle down or warm ups on purpose .

The biggest problem isn't the engine. Most engines designed for turbos can take it without issue. I heard the most likely thing to go wrong is that the turbo needs a bearing overhaul and that's not that expensive. My 2004 WRX is still on the original turbo after about 170,000 miles. I don't necessarily let it cool down either. Modern turbos with water cooled bearings don't really have a problem where they need to be cooled down, as a thermal siphon will draw heat away even after the oil and coolant are no longer pumping.

I believe it is possible for a modern GDI turbo engine to last beyond 300,000 miles, but I'm talking about only the core engine (head, block, pistons, rotating assembly/bearings). Other components including the turbo and all the plastic junk on modern engines are unlikely to last that long. In other words, there will be replacement of major components on the way to 300k+.
Percentage-wise, there are far more NA port injected engines that are well beyond 300k without replacement of major components.
And as stated by others, new NA port injected engines are nearly unheard of today. Good luck with your shopping.

blasphemy! I would prefer that they ban people from owning forced induction vehicles who don't drive them enough to get the car up to temperature on a regular basis and who don't change oil enough or use a high enough quality oil. that would be like banning a rifle or a car because somebody did something stupid and everybody had to be punished. the fact of the matter is hearing a turbo spool up is one of the happiest moments in most automobile enthusiasts lives! there's nothing wrong with putting turbos on cars you just got to do a little bit more care and maintenance.

The only thing I go out of the way to do for my Ranger is when I'm towing the travel trailer, and I do it for a few reasons. When we stop to get gas, which are usually the only stops we make since we'll eat and use the restroom during the gas stop, I will let the truck run. I do this for a few reasons, but the one turbo related is that the powertrain just came off the interstate using a boatload of fuel, making a bunch of heat, and I feel better letting things circulate. Will it make a difference in the life of the turbo? Maybe, maybe not, but there are other reasons not related to the powertrain that I leave it running for as well.

FWIW I'm pulling a full 8 foot wide 6000# trailer (at 70 mph), so the truck/engine/turbo is putting in work.

Otherwise, just daily driving the truck, it gets plenty cool before shutoff since I have about 1/2 mile in the neighborhood to go 15-20 mph, and work has a good section of low-speed driving as well.

I worry more about the timing chain/cam phasers than I do about replacing the turbo. The turbo isn't that expensive and is a fairly easy job. Chain/phasers not so much.

blasphemy! I would prefer that they ban people from owning forced induction vehicles who don't drive them enough to get the car up to temperature on a regular basis and who don't change oil enough or use a high enough quality oil. that would be like banning a rifle or a car because somebody did something stupid and everybody had to be punished. the fact of the matter is hearing a turbo spool up is one of the happiest moments in most automobile enthusiasts lives! there's nothing wrong with putting turbos on cars you just got to do a little bit more care and maintenance.

How long have turbos been around in Europe?
50plus years....at least.

How many F150s are sold with turbos? It's an astronomical amount. Some with a heavy work load your car will never see.

Your buddy's fear is silly.
I see lots of them as company vehicles [ F150 with turbo engines ] over the past few years.

Reactions: CKN
Back