should I use synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to change front and rear diff. in 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 99,000. I only put about 3,000 miles on per year. Use for hunting and occasional light hauling and very little towing.I was planning on using synthetic 75w90 or should I stick with conventional since I don't use the truck a lot.

I would go conventional, assuming that the truck has no weird specification requiring synthetic - you're not stressing it with load, using it in arctic cold, or any other circumstance where there would be a performance advantage....

With 99,000 miles on whatever you have been using during that time must be working so stick with it. I think just sticking to what is recommended is best by the OEM unless you are doing some serious work with this truck.

Jeff

Neither should hurt. I just did a pan drop in my Tahoe, and put in Valvoline Dexron VI Synthetic ATF, instead of conventional, and no one has changed the transmission fluid in 100k plus miles... Still works fine. I plan to do the same with the differentials (75w90).

this will be the first change on the diffs. since I have owned the truck. Owners manual does not specify what type of oil to use in the diffs. either.

i know my dodges have required synthetic in my 2003 models and up, but that was the 2500 hd with lsd. don't know about earlier years. my current 20011 1500 requires synthetic and the friction additive with lsd.

Just yesterday I drained the tranny, switched out the filter & refilled with Mopar ATF4 fluid. Also did the differentials with 75w90 Pennzoil Synthetic. Its the peace of mind knowing that them more slippery lubricants are in there that works for me. Hope all works well with you & your Ram for the long haul.

I'd be inclined to use a synthetic, since the marginal cost is small over the number of mlies you'll run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back