should I use my last Purolator Classic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read on and off with the issues with tears in the recent Purolators, and it's got me wondering about using the last one I've got.

Should I just figure I'm out a few bucks, and ditch it, and start into the Wix/NAPA filters in my stash ?

This seems like cheap insurance. Then again, maybe it's my paranoia...

I am going to use the ones I have for 3000 miles.I haven't seen of the ones I use torn.I used a OCD on the last oil change I just wouldn't use them for extended OCI.

russianroulettevodka.jpg

I have a bunch of them and I will use them all. If I lost sleep over an oil filter, I would have some serious issues that need therapy.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I have a bunch of them and I will use them all. If I lost sleep over an oil filter, I would have some serious issues that need therapy.

LOL Good one bud, Thanks for the smile
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Wheel
It's not in the list. On it goes ! I'll cut it when it's done and report.

Which one is it? If it's not on the failure summary list then chance of it tearing is pretty low.

I've read on and off with the issues with tears in the recent Purolators, and it's got me wondering about using the last one I've got.

Should I just figure I'm out a few bucks, and ditch it, and start into the Wix/NAPA filters in my stash ?

Not sure why people obsess about oil filters so much. Far more wear comes from particulate ingestion through the intake than will ever occur from oil based contamination, yet no one talks much about air filters

I'd only use them for very short ocis. I put one on my firebird half way through an oil change knowing I'll only have a few thousand miles on it when I take it off.

Not sure why people obsess about oil filters so much. Far more wear comes from particulate ingestion through the intake than will ever occur from oil based contamination, yet no one talks much about air filters

I agree . With 3-5K OCI's and an engine not equipped with an oil filter I'll bet there would be no difference to one with an oil filter as far as an engines life being effected or any unusual wear by particulates in the oil .

Last edited:
The two that I got with my car (private sale) are on the list. Im not gonna use 'em.

They cost me nothing and a Fram TG is cheap.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
I agree . With 3-5K OCI's and an engine not equipped with an oil filter I'll bet there would be no difference to one with an oil filter as far as an engines life being effected or any unusual wear by particulates in the oil .

I think the environment the car was used in, and how it was driven would factor a lot into that.

I used to lose sleep... Until I started using Ultras!

Seriously though I have far more sleep lost about my high mileage 4T65e than my engine.

I would run it. I plan on using up my remaining purolators.

...speaking of which, UPS just dropped off a big box of Baldwins from Zoro
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I'd use it.
If it tears, it tears.
There are no guarantees that any other oil filter you might use won't tear.
We're seeing more torn media from many makers now, as more members cut open used oil filters.
We've also seen shockingly low quality inside the nice cans from some makers with a reputation for quality.
Your engine, your choice, but I'd go ahead and run it if it were mine.
Incidentally, unless you have a fairly common application "the list" means nothing.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: nitehawk55

I think the environment the car was used in, and how it was driven would factor a lot into that.

True but the only place dirt will get into your engine is through the intake .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back