Should I service a '97 4l60E at 167k? Leave alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The problem is that GM is too stupid to include a drain plug with the transmission. The good news is that you can get an aftermarket pan that has one
smile.gif

They did for a few years.....1998-2003 for 4L60E & 1991-2003 for 4L80E. All Allison 1000 transmissions have drain plugs no matter the year model.

A pan drop probably still left a lot of old fluid in the torque converter. I advise you do suck up as much as you can of that old fluid through the hose in the dipstick tube trick, and replace with new ATF. Do it again after a few weeks.

If it was me, drop the pan and install a new OEM or ACDelco filter. Even though the filter might be made in China, getting it as an OEM part or in an ACDelco package is more of an assurance you'll get a filter made by Filtran. The neck seal is a PITA to remove though.

For fluid, I prefer Dex VI - Castrol IMV Synthetic, PPLV ATF, VersaTrans LV and SuperTech Dex VI all meet the spec. MaxLife will also work, but if you plan on towing a lot or doing some bushwacking off road, Castrol TransSynd for Allison automatics or any Allison TES-295 approved fluid might be a better choice. It's thicker than low-viscosity fluids and synthetic. About $50/gallon, which is more palatable than Amsoil or Red Line.

I ended up using my Topsider to pull out 3 qts. via the dipstick tube. The fluid I pulled looked a little more worn out than I had initially thought. I added back in the same amount of MaxLife. I then drove it to the gas station.

I'll wait a few weeks and do it again.

Now, on to more pressing matters like brakes, tie rod ends and ball joints.

4l60e transmissions were very good transmissions, and were very popular in the mid 80's all up until 2000. They were so popular my 92 Bonneville has a 4l60e, and my moms 97 Blazer has a 4l60e. Even though they are really good and popular transmissions you should still service your transmission every 100,000 to every 120,000 miles.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
I ended up using my Topsider to pull out 3 qts. via the dipstick tube. The fluid I pulled looked a little more worn out than I had initially thought. I added back in the same amount of MaxLife. I then drove it to the gas station.

I'll wait a few weeks and do it again.

Now, on to more pressing matters like brakes, tie rod ends and ball joints.

Good plan you will after your next fluid swap you will be fine to change it out yearly or every two years. The fluid will be in good condition for the life of the vehicle if you maintain that regimen.

Originally Posted by Bonnelvr92
They were so popular my 92 Bonneville has a 4l60e, and my moms 97 Blazer has a 4l60e.

Your Bonneville is a FWD car, it uses a 4T60E.

Previoosly being servicedf this is probably the reason why the tranny is still running well.
I have always used Maxlife in my vehicles and it's done very well.
I did use Castrol transmax synthetic for drain and fill at 4k miles on my new Explorer to start getting that garbage already turning black Mercon out.

Went with Castrol because it "approved". Otherwise I would have used Maxlife.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 3311
Previoosly being servicedf this is probably the reason why the tranny is still running well.
I have always used Maxlife in my vehicles and it's done very well.
I did use Castrol transmax synthetic for drain and fill at 4k miles on my new Explorer to start getting that garbage already turning black Mercon out.

Went with Castrol because it "approved". Otherwise I would have used Maxlife.

Funny how the dye color affects your perception of quality.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The problem is that GM is too stupid to include a drain plug with the transmission. The good news is that you can get an aftermarket pan that has one
smile.gif

They did for a few years.....1998-2003 for 4L60E & 1991-2003 for 4L80E. All Allison 1000 transmissions have drain plugs no matter the year model.

I bought my 98 K1500 with the 4L60E new and it didn't come with a drain plug in the transmission pan. I later bought a new GM replacement pan that did have the drain plug and is what is still on the truck today.

My 98 K3500 with the 4L80E that I bought used in 2007, did have a factory drain plug in it's factory pan.

The 4l60e's were good transmissions. My Bonneville has one. If it has 167k depending on the condition of the transmission has been through. If the transmission works fine, then no need. If it is starting to get problems, even if it is something as simple as when you try to shift in reverse the first time it won't go but the second time it does, it would be a good idea to service the transmission.

I picked up a 1995 Ford F150 w/302 and the 4r70w transmission (170,000 miles) in 2018, without knowing the history of the truck 100% I replaced the pan with one that has a drain plug and new filter and refilled fluid (5qts). About a month later I drained the pan again and replaced 5qts (10 qts total out of 14qts). I did it for peace of mind with zero worries of causing issues with a good shifting transmission. Leaving 20+ year old fluid in any healthy vehicle just doesn't seem like a good idea at all. Transmission fluid used is Schaeffer All-Trans Supreme which is pretty cheap via Amazon for 5qt jug. I say do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back