Should I say something or not? Potential alcoholic ...

A guy at my work. A super nice guy and I consider him a friend in my opinion drinks too much.

Every night after work it's a 30 pack of beer or a 1/2 gallon of whiskey.

I think he is headed for trouble like a liver problem if he keeps it up.

Should I say anything to him or mind my business? I think he would not take my advice anyway. I hate to see him doing that to himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy at my work. A super nice guy and I consider him a friend in my opinion drinks too much.

Should I say anything to him or mind my business? I think he would not take my advice anyway. I hate to see him doing that to himself.
Unfortunately when people are that deep into something like that, the only way out is professional help.

I was that guy 21 years ago and people, many people said something, and I didn't listen. The part of alcoholism is the person by themselves need to hit bottom HARD. Somebody say something to me I would tell them to mind their own business. One day I came home from work (I was a functioning alcoholic) and looked at all the beer cans and what a total dump I lived in and I fell apart. That's what it'll take for your friend, maybe not the same exact reason and when that day happens then be a friend and support him. Say what you want of course but expect to be snapped at.

If it's that "light" beer. I would give him a pass. Takes a bunch of that to catch a buzz.

1/2 gallon of whiskey is another story.

How does he work the next day, with 30 beers he would be really drunk the next day!

That’s a lot of drinking. I used to put them down pretty good. I couldn’t drink 1/2 gallon of whiskey in one night. A Fifth, yeah. 30 beers? I couldn’t do that either. 12 to 15 maybe.

For the most part, I wouldn’t say anything. Unless the conversation started talking about it somehow, and you can find a way to nicely tell him you’re concerned, and wish him the best on recovery, but leave it at that.

You telling him he drinks too much isn’t going to make him stop. He knows he drinks too much. If you tell him he’ll just hide it better.

I wish him the best as well. Growing up my entire life with my mom as a raging alcoholic, she still is, is hard. I hate alcohol. Hate hate hate it. I’ve never drinken before and never will, but I don’t think there’s anything I hate more than alcohol.

For the most part, I wouldn’t say anything. Unless the conversation started talking about it somehow, and you can find a way to nicely tell him you’re concerned, and wish him the best on recovery, but leave it at that.

You telling him he drinks too much isn’t going to make him stop. He knows he drinks too much. If you tell him he’ll just hide it better.

I wish him the best as well. Growing up my entire life with my mom as a raging alcoholic, she still is, is hard. I hate alcohol. Hate hate hate it. I’ve never drinken before and never will, but I don’t think there’s anything I hate more than alcohol.
I don't drink alcohol at all either. I simply do not like the taste. I do believe it has its place such as otc cold medicine.

Unless he decides he wants to change there isn't much you can do for him. I have a friend with similar problems. It's exhausting to care about someone's life and watch them seemingly not care about it themselves.

A 30 pack is a lot of beer, and a half gallon of whisky goes without saying,,, he'd be shocked how much extra money he has if he quit.....

Unless you are really close the chances are really close to zero that talking to him will help, in fact they are only a little better if you are really close...

You never know though ... if nothing else let him know you're ready to help if he wants it.

I think encouragement and showing you care could go a long way to helping him with his underlying problems, which are almost certainly depression and low self esteem. You could in fact save his life. Offer alternate options over drinking, for instance. Be a accountability partner, focus on fitness, etc.

If you ignore it, and he keeps it up, a person cannot live long like that.

Say nothing. He's too far gone for it to matter anyway. Just hope he stays off the road once he starts pouring. I knew people who went through 2 marriages, and half a dozen DUI's, along with several wrecks...... And they didn't stop. So why would a few words from a coworker matter? People tend to be overconfident in their advice to others.

I was that guy 21 years ago and people, many people said something, and I didn't listen. The part of alcoholism is the person by themselves need to hit bottom HARD. Somebody say something to me I would tell them to mind their own business. One day I came home from work (I was a functioning alcoholic) and looked at all the beer cans and what a total dump I lived in and I fell apart. That's what it'll take for your friend, maybe not the same exact reason and when that day happens then be a friend and support him. Say what you want of course but expect to be snapped at.
Same with me. Took a life changing event and some age to really revaluate and know it was a problem. Saying something won't do anything. If you can't be around him because he drinks too much, you can say that if you want. It won't hurt his feelings at this point.

That liver's not going to make it another 5 years. You can do it casually just by mentioning you're concerned about him in passing or something like that, see if he takes the bait. How is he even functioning the next day?
You would be surprised what it takes to kill off a liver. The journeyman I served under as an apprentice, drank a fifth a day for over 30 years. He died 2 years ago, just shy of his 95th birthday.

Never once got a DUI, and was married to the same woman for over 60+ years. Never was late to work, never got into a fight with anyone, and worked more overtime than anyone else in the joint. Left his daughter a fortune when he passed. You would be astonished at how well some hardened alcoholics can function. And for how long they can function.

Back