Should I re-use my lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weeks ago I opened up my front diff. to diagnose a problem. Problem is I need new spider gears. So I put everything back together and put new lube in it. I now have the parts and will be replacing them within the next week or so.

Question is, should I reuse the lube I have in there already since it's only been in for 2 weeks or should I just put in new stuff again? I've been using Rotella 70W-90 from Walmart.

In my opinon I would reuse the gear oil. Since you are replacing some new parts so there might be some wear metals from the new parts. I would change the gear oil later like at your next oil change. Just my opinon.

If you need new spider gears, there is probably an abundance of wear particles floating around in that diff. Even with new fluid I would change it. If you really want to cheap out you could run that fluid. What kind of a vehicle is it? If the diff gears DO NOT turn while not in 4x4 (we are talking about a 4x4 right? Or is it FWD?) then you have less contamination in the fluid, but is it really worth the 15-50 dollars in oil to change ruining a bearing in the freshened up diff?
cheers.gif

It is a 98 Grand Cherokee. The gears always turn no matter what.

Never reuse oil unless you have some means of filtering it. New gear oil is cheaper than a remotely pumped recirculating bypass filter.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to use new oil and then change it again after a few thousand miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back