Transaxle question

So, if one jacks the front end of a FWD off the ground, in park, if you spin one wheel, the other wheel will spin backwards--that's the front diff doing its thing. The spiders are doing their job, ring and pinion are locked in place. Got it.

Wife has been "complaining" about a front end squeak. Can't remember the last time I greased the sliding surfaces on the brakes, so figured it was time. Pulled wheels, pulled calipers, pulled brackets. For no good reason, I tried to turn the hub. It's surprising high drag--and I swear, I can feel every tooth engaging. ? I can't say I've tried this before on different cars, but this feels off to me. Like it's got really low backlash in the gears, that has to be good right? but my fear is that I've got a wheelbearing going and instead it's pitting I'm feeling, that's my fear.

I don't think it's pitting, it's too regular, and the car is kinda new. 2021 Camry Hybrid, 59k or so on the clock. Maybe the spiders have tight lash and it's actually low drag, if I were to figure out how to shift into neutral without the car getting mad at me.

Guessing it's just a squeak from yet a new ridge getting cut into the pads. For the first time I suspect I'll do brakes because of rotors wearing out, instead of pads. Just a hunch.

Time to sand, slather some anti seize in, and put back together with grease on all the sliding surfaces. No problem found, you're just hearing things honey.

1696088280960.jpg

1696088340565.jpg

1696088362769.jpg

Any details; such as, under power...whilst coasting....during turns....when cold....when hot....have you gone out on a drive with her?
I think taking off from a stop… like the squeak that I’m not hearing, sometimes I don’t hear her either…

I wonder if it is after backing up, the pads shift, and then makes noise when the pads realign when braking going forward.

Definitely not all the time. Intermittently.

Found it, I think.

Driver rear, pads were stuck in the bracket. And a nasty looking ridge too. Pads a bit thin. Source of noise? maybe.
1696096274835.jpg

Passenger side? roached.
1696096312745.jpg

I could probably free those up and get the last 382 miles out of that one pad... but I think I better run to the parts store and get whatever pads they have and do a pad slap. Rear rotors aren't that bad, but clearly this car will need everything around 100k.

I blame myself. I was so depressed and stressed this past spring that I elected to not do my yearly spring brake maintenance. I like to go through the brakes every year, make sure everything comes apart, lube all sliding surfaces. 99% sure I did this back 2022, after all it's all coming apart so I must have--but I know I didn't this year, as I wasn't in a good place. Stupidity on my part.

Its crazy how fast northeast cars get rusty.
Yes. Did my wife’s 2015 Altima this past summer.
Bought car in Louisiana, moved back up to MA 2018

I try to do the same thing as OP, before and/or after winter take apart, clean and relube

Attachments

• 70533263195__99B6CF0A-3F6E-4188-99B9-E4765F624C0E.jpeg
    70533263195__99B6CF0A-3F6E-4188-99B9-E4765F624C0E.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4270.jpeg
    IMG_4270.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 3
Back