Should I make the Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Purolators for as long as I've been changing oil. My old truck used P1's then the Boss filters and never had any issues related to oil or oil filtration. I opened up an old Boss and put it on the site and I had no rips, no tears, and no cuts in the ADBV
(https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...alv#Post4183787)
This being said. I'm thinking about switching because, why the [censored] not? I run Castrol Edge 0w-40 in a 2014 Nissan Frontier V6 with a 5000mi OCI (I tow a lot hence using a 0w-40 instead of the Nissan spec 5w-30). It currently has a Boss on it.
For a filter to make me happy it needs to be 100% synthetic media, silicone ADBV, and preferably a coil steel bypass spring. I hear good things about Ultra's but I hate the low pleat count.
so, shoot

Last edited:
How long of an OCI will you be running?

Once my stash of oil filters is done for the civic, I'll switch over to using Fram Ultra's. I plan on using it for two OCI of 7500km for a total of 15,000km.

5k OCI I'd say go with the Fram Ultra. You could leave it on for 3 changes if desired. I'm switching to the Ultra on my next change. Frontier is a great truck I love mine. Whats with the 0w-40? Are you still in warranty?

id say 40% of my driving is towing at or close to the trucks official tow capacity for work so i like to have the extra protection, plus it has almost eliminated my startup valve and timing chain rattle

Originally Posted By: NissanHauler
id say 40% of my driving is towing at or close to the trucks official tow capacity for work so i like to have the extra protection, plus it has almost eliminated my startup valve and timing chain rattle

I see, I'm switching to PP 5W30 on my next change. Curious if I'll notice, hear any improvements.

There you go man. If the oil makes that problem go away then that's all the better. As for the oil filter idea I say go for it of course. Fram Ultra is a fantastic filter on par with the Amsoil EA filter lineup.

I ran PP 5w30 for the first 2 oil changes to kinda cleanse out the factory conventional fill. for my driving though it did run pretty hot and didnt do anything for the valve/timing chain rattle which ive learned is common for the big ol' chain on the VQ40. the Castrol 0w-40 has it running a LOT cooler and no rattle. Can't wait to see how the castrol holds up in the New Hampshire winter though

Try looking on eBay for the Fram Pro Synthetic filter for you app, maybe the 6607 or 7317. You can buy a case of six for less than $36 including shipping. Nearly identical to the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: NissanHauler
For a filter to make me happy it needs to be 100% synthetic media, silicone ADBV, and preferably a coil steel bypass spring. I hear good things about Ultra's but I hate the low pleat count.
so, shoot

Pleat count doesn't mean much with a full synthetic filter. Depth filtering, holding capacity and recommended use mileage does.

My M1 filter I cut open is a blended media filter and it had a ton of pleats. Wonder if its because its blended media...

I'm a former Pure one/MC user - and IMO one way they will correct QAQC issues is to drop in sales.
Now using Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, and Wix spin on filters - except my small cartridge is AC Delco (Hengst) ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back