Should I flip a coin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having this constant debate over whether to to use an Amsoil SDF or a Toyota "Made in Japan" oil filter in my car. I use the 0-30w Amsoil currently. Give me your thoughts? Toyota makes some filters in US (generally of lower quality) and some in Japan (higher quality). The price I pay for both filters is the "same."

Gebo,
Try this site for cheaper OEM filters and other parts. 1stToyotaparts
What kind of Toyota do you have?
cheers.gif

I got a Lexus LS400 and GS300. Nothing but high priced Toyotas
wink.gif
wink.gif

[ December 20, 2002, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Gebo ]

What interval do you plan to run it for?

I would lean towards the Amsoil, since we know it's designed for long drain intervals, while OEM filters are made with different priorities in mind, and generally not as high quality media and not as high quality internals either.

10,000 miles or about 5 months on the 400 and about 1 yr on the 300.

quote:

Originally posted by Gebo:
10,000 miles or about 5 months on the 400 and about 1 yr on the 300.

Definitely go with the Amsoil filter then, as you know for sure it's designed as a longer drain filter that is good for 12,500 miles or so.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

I would lean towards the Amsoil, since we know it's designed for long drain intervals, while OEM filters are made with different priorities in mind, and generally not as high quality media and not as high quality internals either.

I wouldn't count on that.

I've only taken apart one Amsoil filter, but it is a POS. The Toyo Roki OEM is superior in every way that I can tell.

I suppose most Amsoil filters are fine. But you need to cut one open to make sure.

I don't want to ruin this debate over Amsoil or Toyota "made in Japan" filters but, is there a notable difference, or any difference at all between the filters marketed under the TRD logo from the OEM filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back