should I change ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I concur with using MaxLife as a preventative measure, the only concern I have is switching back to conventional after using it, and if it would create any leaks. When I switched to Mobil Clean 5000 after using Valvoline MaxLife for 1 oil change (3000 miles) in my mom's '03 Malibu the oil pan gasket started leaking, along with another gasket near the top of the motor, probably a valve cover gasket. I don't know if it was the oil's fault or not though, but previously it never leaked/consumed any oil and it's always been changed at 3k. If you can find PP for a decent price, that's also a great oil. After I switched back to MaxLife in my mom's Malibu, the leak stopped again.

Use a 5w-20 in whatever form that they give it to you free. When they don't give it to you free ..then buy the 5w-20 of your choice. I don't think that there's a bad one out there. If you stretch out your OCI's ..then consider a synth to get your money's worth out of it. For some, 5k is stretching out their OCI
21.gif

The differences in viscosity are way too narrow to warrant this level of paranoia for most engines that are currently produced (and have been produced for quite some time); yours included. With very few exceptions, viscosity never "saved" an engine. It was a great compensator for lame oils of ancient history. For decades 5w-30 was a 20 weight during the midpoint in most OCIs. How did those engines last?

If you think you have some future seal issue that may poke its head out, I'd recommend something like Auto-Rx to assure that any deposits are removed.

welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Take the free oil whatever it is; they will put in what's right. The 5W20 should give you some extra MPG's, which means you will have even more money in your wallet. You just can't lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back