Should I change Oil

I'd probably change it, since VQs are known to be pretty hard on oil, 3000miles over the course of a year sounds like pretty severe service I'd change it because it's been a year and you've put quite a lot of mileage on it, if it had virtually no miles on it I'd leave it, but 12 months and 3000mi on a VQ sounds like a good time to change it, you know, cheap insurance, car that was originally 40 grand, yada yada yada.

Good Evening:

I have a 2013 G37 /w the 3.7 Liter VQ37VHR

Current oil is Mobile 1 5w-30 API-SN installed March 21, 2020

Millage on oil is about 3,000 with about 78,027 on the vehicle.

Normally, I change the oil every 3,750, but I have never driven only 3,000 in a year. What are your thoughts running it to 78,750 or just under 750 miles even if it takes a few more months.
IMHO you could safely run it for 750 more miles.
I get the feeling that an awful lot of people throw away perfectly good oil rather than run their oil longer, or for more miles than they should.
No, 365 days does not mean your oil no longer lubricates your engine.
Lots of people run their oil well over that amount of time and/or for many more miles than they should, but they do it, and for the most part, it doesn't do a terrible amount of damage to the engine. It's people who almost never change their oil and filter who really mess up their engines, then they have to get the engine flushed when the oil is changed to clean out the blackened sludge.

Just you being here on BITOG tells me the car engine will be better maintained than the average Joe's.
A UOA would prove to you that your oil is still OK, and if not, chances are you're still OK.
Being that you're running Mobil 1, I'd say you should be in good shape for 750 more miles as long as the car seems to be running well on this oil.

Why does it have only 3k in a year … dozens of short trips or more like a weekend car ?
If it’s a 2020 one off (work from home) reason … change it for the “new normal” ahead.
And stock up … motor oil might get banned in 2023 😷
2020 was a one-off. I didn’t go grocery shopping all year... paid for a lot of delivery... and worked from home 99%

2020 was a one-off. I didn’t go grocery shopping all year... paid for a lot of delivery... and worked from home 99%
So, was G37 at full operating temperature for significant lengths of time (like road trips) ?

So, was G37 at full operating temperature for significant lengths of time (like road trips) ?

Occasionally, I drove it just to keep the gasoline from going bad. I purchased a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger to keep the battery maintained for some periods it sat as long as 4 weeks without an engine start.

Overall it’s well maintained - I had it new since January 2013... it looks clean under the hood.

1618234731833.jpeg

Occasionally, I drove it just to keep the gasoline from going bad. I purchased a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger to keep the battery maintained for some periods it sat as long as 4 weeks without an engine start.

Overall it’s well maintained - I had it new since January 2013... it looks clean under the hood.

View attachment 53822
Nice … put 750 miles on her and stay the course … think that oil still has good TBN …

I change mine twice a year and don't put many miles on. Oil is cheap. 25 bucks an oil change with synthetic oil. I like to do it right before the weather changes, fresh oil for hot or cold temps.

I caved... Changed it today April 25, 2021 because I had good weather, all the parts, and the time.

Changed at 78,430 /w OE filter and Mobil 1 5w-30 API-SN (my old stock from May of 2018 right before SN plus)

Last change was March 21, 2020 at 75,017.... 3,413 miles 1 year 1 month 4 days (400 days) on this oil.

CF78F221-A7C9-4E1D-99A2-E83D01EAE980.jpeg

Would have been interesting to see what a UOA would have shown.
I can still get a UOA. Have al, the oil on that container, The drain catch can gets only oil from that vehicle and 99%+ emptied each time,

If the topic of your post is "Should I change Oil?" the answer is always "YES!" on this forum. There is no point in even giving us details.

The wife came in and said change the oil on my truck,, she loves her truck . I will change it. clean oil is happy oil.

I can still get a UOA. Have al, the oil on that container, The drain catch can gets only oil from that vehicle and 99%+ emptied each time,
Really, how "dirty" do you think oil with 3.413 miles on it is? If you do a UOA and the report comes back from the lab that the oil needs changed, post the report and I will pay you for the UOA and the oil and filter to change it. My point is that a UOA might change your mind about the frequency of your OCI; that is, unless your mind cannot be changed with facts.

Back