Should I buy a new vehicle?

How much cash in hand for repairs of current car or down payment into next car? I’d start saving hard for next vehicle personally as this car still has a few years left in it. The value is not changing much as miles pile on/ages because it is already old.

Suspicions and fear are nothing to base a plan upon.

The Dart is
Why not continue to drive the Dart for another year or two to let the market cool, all the while saving enough for you to pay cash for a 2-3 year old nice used car when the time comes?
Your somewhat right. I definitely want a newer more comfortable car. I eat lunch in my car (shop doesn’t have a break room) it’s a challenge to do so. 😂 something more spacious and comfortable would be great. 2 years is a long time to try not to spill a whopper in my lap 5 days a week 😂😂 I’m exaggerating a bit sometimes I take my lunch but either way it’s tough to eat in the dart. I could sell the dart and then throw in like 5k additional on a deal so if I bought a $20,000 vehicle I’d finance around 10k. I
Also have the ability to do my work but I don’t really have the time. Darts also aren’t always easy to get parts for at least not quickly. My 11 and 9 year old are in extra curricular activities. We are busy so finding the time to even do the work is a challenge most of the time.

I would personally keep what you have. You’re worried that it may start to nickel and dime you but in reality it isn’t. It’s more fiscally responsible to keep what you have, especially with another kid on the way. Deal with issues when they arise even if that means you pay someone to work on the car for you. I can work on my own car but my job is busy, so recently I paid someone to put new rotors and pads on. Sure it cost me more but I spent time with my family and that car has been paid off for 5 years, so I’m ahead. That’s just what I would do in your shoes. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Your somewhat right. I definitely want a newer more comfortable car. I eat lunch in my car (shop doesn’t have a break room) it’s a challenge to do so. 😂 something more spacious and comfortable would be great. 2 years is a long time to try not to spill a whopper in my lap 5 days a week 😂😂 I’m exaggerating a bit sometimes I take my lunch but either way it’s tough to eat in the dart. I could sell the dart and then throw in like 5k additional on a deal so if I bought a $20,000 vehicle I’d finance around 10k. I
Also have the ability to do my work but I don’t really have the time. Darts also aren’t always easy to get parts for at least not quickly. My 11 and 9 year old are in extra curricular activities. We are busy so finding the time to even do the work is a challenge most of the time.
I hear you, and of course it is ultimately your money, and we all are the sum of the choices we make, but I would drive that Dart until the wheels fell off before I would borrow money to buy any car... but different strokes...

Since you work at a service center why not get the work done there while your working. It may cost you but nowhere near what a car payment would be.
Typically when you work in the industry you get pushed off since your not really a customer. So it’s tough to get repairs done in a timely manner. Heck front brake jobs are running $500 around here now. Everything is expensive! 3 years ago the same shop was at about $250-300 for a brake job.

Seems like dropping your car off to get work done is pretty convenient? ;)
With that and having a spare vehicle I would probably run the Dart as long as its not so rusty its a pain to work on. For new vehicles with a manual you are left with the Forte, Mazda3, and Civic as comparable cars, and I suspect they don't really do anything much better than the Dart?
Also have you tried sitting in the passenger seat for lunch?
I don't know what the reliability rep is for the Dart, but for my Focus, nothing really driveline critical seems to be a common problem? So I just drive it, sometimes for a week or two with a blown shock, or a slightly clunky ball joint, bad motor mount, etc, until I have a convenient time to mess with it, or in your case, fit it in at a slow time at work.

With interest rates rising and with price of gas through the roof, it has put a damper on the car business.
Same with housing market - interest rates have cooled it somewhat.
Have not seen that in the Western U.S.

Seems like dropping your car off to get work done is pretty convenient? ;)
With that and having a spare vehicle I would probably run the Dart as long as its not so rusty its a pain to work on. For new vehicles with a manual you are left with the Forte, Mazda3, and Civic as comparable cars, and I suspect they don't really do anything much better than the Dart?
Also have you tried sitting in the passenger seat for lunch?
I don't know what the reliability rep is for the Dart, but for my Focus, nothing really driveline critical seems to be a common problem? So I just drive it, sometimes for a week or two with a blown shock, or a slightly clunky ball joint, bad motor mount, etc, until I have a convenient time to mess with it, or in your case, fit it in at a slow time at work.
I stated this above but you may not have seen that comment. It’s not convenient. We are a small shop we are usually always busy so it’s tough to get anything in and fixed. The workers are kinda put on the back burner because the customer comes first. Also the cost to pay for repairs and maintenance is more than a car payment nowadays. Sure not as consistent maybe but even brakes are $500+ per axle it’s gotten insane. I price work out for 3-5k every day.

Hey everyone so my new job requires 50+ hours per week. To say the least I’m wore out when I get home. I have 4 kids between the ages of 11 and 2 with one more on the way. I drive a 13 dart to work everyday it’s a 2.0 6 speed manual. It has 162,000 miles. I am mulling over the idea of trading it in on a new vehicle. My justification is something a little more comfortable to be in everyday. Also I suspect the dart will start nickel and diming. I’ve already replaced a control arm, tensioner pulley and a few other odds and ends. Shifter bushings, mounts. Nothing major yet but I guess my fear is how long until something goes? I typically do my own work and really just don’t have the time to be fixing stuff/ don’t want to make the time either. I know first world problems! Am I crazy or do you agree? I am at a point in my life where I want to spend more time with my family and less time fussing with a car. I would be buying something between 2019-2022 has to be a manual and have 5 seats. I would have a car payment. I’d likely just trade the dart in. I’m open to suggestions on cars I’m also open to other alternatives and being told I sound spoiled. 😂 one annoying thing about the dart that drives me nuts is the slight shake at highway speeds I bought new wheels and tires been balanced repeatedly and it still shakes. Needless to say I hate crap like that. 😂😂 what do you all think?
If you like Stenallis vehicles (Chrysler, Dodge, etc) it isn't an awful time to buy new (used is another story) if you find the right dealer. Try Mark Dodge in St Charles, Louisiana. Pricing is around 5% below invoice before incentives (almost unheard of nowdays). My parents ordered from them recently and I nearly did a couple years ago when the market was more competitive (sales tax made buying local(ish) a slightly better deal). Your Dart probably isn't worth much so you could sell it locally or to Carvana or something without much of a sales tax benefit from trading in. People rave about them on 5thgenrams.com and my experience (I helped my parents navigate the purchase) was food. Zero games. Zero BS. They sold order protect incentives so you get the best at time of order or delivery. They also of course have cars/trucks on the lot, and at good prices. Most people fly into New Orleans or Houston (they will meet you at airport) and drive home, or they arrange shipping and it is about $1/mile. Say you found out from 5thgenrams.com. No I am not affiliated with them.

At 162k miles our Dart has done pretty well. Whether or not keeping it going for another couple of years is worth it to you versus getting a new vehicle is a question only you can answer.

I stated this above but you may not have seen that comment. It’s not convenient. We are a small shop we are usually always busy so it’s tough to get anything in and fixed. The workers are kinda put on the back burner because the customer comes first. Also the cost to pay for repairs and maintenance is more than a car payment nowadays. Sure not as consistent maybe but even brakes are $500+ per axle it’s gotten insane. I price work out for 3-5k every day.
Brakes and tires cost roughly the same per mile with any car though, possibly cheaper with older cars, due to smaller tires. I dunno, I guess I've been sort of lucky with the Focus(knock on wood), nothing expensive seems to go on it and its not worth much, so I don't mind tackling most part swapping stuff myself. The thermostat replacement was the most annoying thing by far I've had to do on it, but that's a silly design, with some broken bolts added. If I need another thermostat, I will try cardboard on the rad for the winter first!

The Outback, since its "valuable", and was in warranty, we had been taking it to the dealer for a lot of the maintenance, and its cost more for just regular maintenance than the Focus did in repairs... Plus we had the car payment for 36 months. The Outback is a better family car for sure, but for just bombing to work, the older simple fwd manual small car is pretty hard to beat for cost of ownership, but maybe you'll find paying a bit more for something nicer is worth it?

Anyways, if you swap into a new bigger "family sized" SUV or car, you might find its not saving you any money at any point. The bumper to bumper warranty goes by quick and nothing the drivetrain warranty period is likely to fail, so you are back to doing brakes and tires like before, maybe some shocks at 60-80k miles? And you probably now have some turbo'd DI motor that you really aren't confident in not throwing serious bills once it get into 150k+ mile territory.

I'd say no but because you're in a bind I'd say to proceed with a lot of caution on what the dealers are willing to pay you for the car since it's an old miled out manual trans dart and what the dealer wants you to pay for their car you want to buy

If you get an extra 2k over the value of the dart but end up getting shagged 5k over the value of the car you're buying then I'd say wait until things die down instead unless you just really need it. Now if you get both great resale or at least fair value and don't get mugged on the lot and actually get a fair price which isn't over msrp or realistic value if it's used then i'd say yes and go ahead.

I was lucky and i mean por pura chiripada to not only not pay over msrp on my new 2021 cadilac but i paid just under msrp since i rounded it down with the hispanic saleman i liked and drummed up talk with. It was the rest of the POS cadilac stealer that upset me. I told them no on this stupid two grand winshield warranty and they still put it in anyway but i caught it in the nick of time when doing the paperwork and told them to take it off immediately with displeasure in my tone which they then did. But that was before it all hit the fan in early oct of 2020. But lets say that right now if i were to try to buy a 2022 escalade as if i didnt buy the 2021 i have now I'd get thrown into the woodchipper. And that being the highly probable case i'd outright refuse to buy one and get on the waiting bench like everyone else.

Your kids are only kids once. Working 50+ hour weeks you're probably missing out on things now. A $10k car loan is nothing, if it doesn't make money tight and it gives you peace of mind and you aren't replacing control arms and missing little league games it's worth it. Nobody ever looked back and said I spent too much time with my kids, and you have 4+1 to spend time with.

Since you work at a service center why not get the work done there while your working. It may cost you but nowhere near what a car payment would be.

I was about to post this. Not only is this convenient, but you can always find a way to get it done for less than retail and avoid working on it yourself.

If you need to ask whether to buy a new vehicle, you probably don't need one badly.

Back