Should I bother with an oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

So i'm currently driving a beater, 2003 Toyota echo manual trans, with about 290,000km on it. I have a fairly long commute, so the KM's add up pretty quick. Now, I have to add about a half quart every 700km (about every 435 miles) of driving, with the total sump capacity being 3.9qt.

Do you really think I should still bother doing an "oil change" when the time comes? Or can I probably get away with filter changes on schedule and simply keep adding oil as I currently am? Considering I'm adding about the entire sump capacity worth of new oil in less than 4000 miles. Plus if I skipped oil changes, I would be adding even more top up oil when it came time to do a filter change.

So what's the BITOG opinion on this matter? Again, it's a beater so I'd like to spend as little on this as possible, but I also don't want it to die on me just yet.

This has come up numerous times....IIRC consensus never reached. My take is to change the filter on schedule and do a "normal" oil change about every 20k as there will be some contaminants left over despite the refreshes.

Get a filter, drain your oil, see how "new" it looks because that is your argument.

Try a different oil to address consumption if you like. Hmmm...Winter is almost here so you can't go the "straight 40 route.

This time take ACCURATE top-up measurements and record them.

If the drained oil looks pretty clear, use it to top-off.

IMHO, a rolling change with a burner is not the same as an actual drain in that you'll get almost all contaminants out with a drain while you're merely diluting them with constant adds.
I know that you pay a good bit more for oil in Canada than we do here, but four quarts of fresh oil every six months or so seems reasonable.
Do you have idea why consumption is so high?
I'll assume you've checked the PCV.
Stuck rings? Maybe try Kreen? This has been shown to work with Saturns that have exhibited similar consumption levels.
This engine does have some miles on it but not enough that the bores and rings should be that badly worn.

I had a similiar situation with my 96 camry. It leaked about 1qt every 800 miles. It was a decent leak at the rear main. It being a beater with a heater, i just kept adding.

I changed the oil and filter once every year myself. And the rest was just top off. I was lucky that the oil filter was top side so if i felt like it, i changed the filter randomly.

I did this for a good 3 years and 22k miles. I wanted to see the day it died. It was all city driving so no issues other then leaving the car there and calling a taxi to get me home. I would of kept going but someone offered me $800 for the car, even after i told them what i've been doing.

I would still change it on a regular basis,with a name brand oil like Pennzoil,Castrol,etc. It may be a beater,but she remains faithful at getting you where you need to go.

Clean or replace the pcv valve. I had a tercel that was using oil and when I pulled the pcv it was stuck up with black crud. I changed it and the oil use went back to normal (very little). Also change the oil.

Its called a perpetual oil change, and no you dont need to bother to change it. Each top up refreshed the additives. Change the filter once per year for peace of mind

Alright well based on a popular recommendation so far, i just removed and cleaned my PCV valve. It was a bit dirty, but it wasn't plugged or anything.

Now, when I shake the valve, internally it rattles around almost like a can of spray paint. Is this normal, or did something let go inside?

Since I cleaned it, I will monitor oil loss over the next week and see if another half quart is needed or not. If this helps, I will probably replace the valve all together and see if it improves more.

Thanks for the replies so far

The engine already costs you more $ to burn oil for zero benefit and maximum pollution, why waste time and money with regular changes? Are you afraid the rings gonna wear out and cause it to burn oil or something?
lol.gif
Seriously, it feels bad enough to have to pay extra for no increase in power or mileage, why commit to paying even more when the engines already toast? Just bear in mind how ring blow-by and crankcase pressurization works synergistically with the PCV system as well, whether the PCV valve is stuck or not.

Rattling PCV valve is normal/healthy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
Don't cheap out please. I would use say ST oil and SUPER TECH filter.

Car51,

You're a top notch member so please don't be offended. The OP is from Canada. I don't know about the Walmarts in his province, but in Ontario where I'm from WM doesn't sell super tech oil and filters. The brand they sell is called "Tune it". I'm not sure who manufactures it for WM in Canada.

For the OP, I think I'd do this. Keep topping up the oil using a new 5 liter jug. Once that jug had been fully used with top ups, then I would get ready for a complete oil change including filter.

The oil I would drain from the crankcase would be saved into a used jug and filtered if needed. That used oil would be used for your next set of top ups.

You can get a jug of PYB or QSGB on sale at WM or Canadian tire for around $15 on sale.

Not sure what mileage that would be at, but you should be ok with this approach IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joseph_S37
Alright well based on a popular recommendation so far, i just removed and cleaned my PCV valve. It was a bit dirty, but it wasn't plugged or anything.

Now, when I shake the valve, internally it rattles around almost like a can of spray paint. Is this normal, or did something let go inside?

Since I cleaned it, I will monitor oil loss over the next week and see if another half quart is needed or not. If this helps, I will probably replace the valve all together and see if it improves more.

Thanks for the replies so far

Mine was stuck open, yours may have been as well, rattling is good but the spring could still be worn out but I would bet that your cleaning will help with your oil consumption.

Sure, a bad PCV valve will allow a lot of oil out of the crankcase whether stuck closed or opening at lower pressures than it should.
The OP should replace the one on his engine with a new Toyota part.
There is a member here who has an Echo with similar numbers on the odo in miles.
He reports no excessive oil consumption.
These little no-power Japanese fours are tough and this one shouldn't be worn out at less than 180K miles.
This engine probably has stuck rings and efforts at freeing them would probably be rewarded with a radical reduction in oil consumption.
I wonder what the plugs look like and how often the OP has to remove and clean or replace them?

Originally Posted By: Joseph_S37

Replace it, I would suggest. I've had PCVs fail, despite passing the nominal tests.

Change the filter once a year and keep the oil topped off considering how small the capacity is. Whatever you have on hand. You're technically changing the oil every 3,400 miles anyways.

I would change the oil and filter once a year, and see if a thicker high mileage oil helps reduce consumption. I'd try MaxLife or Defy in 5W-30 in winter and 10W-30/40 in warmer temps...

Also, I'll "echo" the call for a PCV change and suggest maybe a piston soak with MMO, I'm pretty sure you can do that one this Toyota...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back