Should gas stations be mandated to have chargers as well?

But sales of stuff inside the store is far more profitable than selling gas for the most part.

And EV charging takes longer. You have a captive audience for 15-45mins.

So most gas stations will probably have EV chargers in a few years. But it shouldn’t be mandated.

Indeed, but then you have the same customers for that 15-45mins who will most likely only buy one thing, then wait in a spot for the next 30 mins while a line forms for the chargers or the ones waiting will suck up a parking spot (or wait at the pumps.)

I could see some sort of government mandate for EV charging in large parking lots, businesses, etc. like we see with a requirement for disabled parking spots. I don't necessarily see any kind of mandate that the electricity be paid for by the business, but more like a partnership with ChargePoint or Tesla if Destination Chargers (especially newer universal setups) are included.

Maybe, but disable parking spots are mandated by ADA laws.

Mandates are just politics taking credit of industry trends at this point. No need for the outrage.

If you build it, they will come. Select fueling stations are increasing their footprint to make sure those long ev stopovers become mini malls.

Money from charging like fueling ice engines wont make much. However buying those pricey meals, small items etc will make them bank.

I'll decide if I wish to be outraged at the idea that others have to mandate what people do.

Just because you feel no need to be outraged doesn't mean you get to decide for others.

I'm not against charging stations at gas stations. Just against mandates that decide this is the best course of action for gas station owners.

Mandates are antithetical to liberty.

As others have said, the right place to have chargers is adjacent to other shopping, dining, perhaps a gym, etc. - places where people want to spend time, or at least don't mind killing the time it takes to charge.

Although I'd be happy it were there in the absence of other options, I don't want to sit in my car waiting to charge at a gas station.

Of course, the place I'd most prefer to charge is in my garage.

If it's such a great idea then build stand alone for profit charging stations.

Will THAT WORK?

Let's say by gun point gas stations have to have charging stations. Can they charge what they want for the wattage? Of course NOT!

What a hair brained idea. People just don't know so much.

In for the lithium uncontrolled conflagration!!

If it's such a great idea then build stand alone for profit charging stations.

Will THAT WORK?

Let's say by gun point gas stations have to have charging stations. Can they charge what they want for the wattage? Of course NOT!

What a hair brained idea. People just don't know so much.

In for the lithium uncontrolled conflagration!!

Mandating it is ridiculous. Although it would personally benefit me as an EV owner I would never vote for such a mandate.

Reactions: MM8
ABSOLUTELY NOT!! but our government FORCES other stuff on us at OUR expense if the lobbyist $$$$ push enough $$$$$ to the right people!! todays children get THREE times as many Vaccines compared to years ago, by law, good or bad theres NO choice! + today we spend the most $$$ on sick care while statistics show WE are the SICKEST developed country while spending the most $$$$

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4WD
Many here are already installing chargers if their site layout permits it. I wouldn't mandate it, but a government incentive would be a good idea, maybe on a sliding scale based on the charger's remoteness, and not limit it to gas stations although they normally would be a in a good location.
Actually a lot of small towns with struggling downtown areas should install a decent charger or two, to promote business. My municipality has installed a couple level 2 chargers in our small towns and they get used a bit by visitors from what I notice.

Wrong location in some aspects. What we'll see is more electric stations put in grocery parking lots for you to shop while you charge. Convenience like that is what we should see until charging gets to be more efficient to reduce time. There will be charging stations though far & wide but no we shouldn't require them to do it though.

Don’t bring up fake synthetic whatever you do 👀
I’m sorry the use of punctuation looks like how the Facebook comment bots post comments. I wasn’t trying to get a rise out of or insult anyone, I am genuinely curious.

Electric vehicles are the future. Yet ICE vehicles will be here for decades as well.

Should all gas stations be mandated to have chargers? Is having 1-2 chargers minimum reasonable?

I think so.
Mandates aren't needed. If there's profit to be made it will happen. Gas stations aren't mandated btw. If you want to go down the road of mandates how about code require that all new homes are pre-wired for EV charging. It's only a few bucks in material and labor.

Back