Short trips thin vs thick conclusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the OP right in the city? I lived near the foothills and will see temps in the teens and single digits on occasion. The climate varies quite a bit just within 30 miles.

Still, the 5w and 10w recommendations are still good.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
I like the idea of mixing the 5w40 and 0w20 AFE since I have both. Since it takes 5 quarts I would think maybe 1 quart of M1 0w20 and then a gallon jug of the tdt would work well.
In what way?

I live in the hills of redmond and this winter we saw low 20's quite often. But as far as I can tell, they are saying it still wont matter.

To CT8: I like it because the TDT comes in gallon jugs, and my M1 afe is in quart jugs, would make things pretty easy

Yeah PimTac the temperature can vary a lot in the Seattle area in regards to elevation. In the flat valley areas and in downtown it can be raining. Yet at even 500 ft in elevation in the foothills it could be snowing. Then at 1k feet it could be snowing with several times inches in the ground. The cold air aloft causes very steep lapse rates in that area.
I agree a 10w or 5w is just fine in that area. Only on Mt Rainier would a 0w really be necessary
smile.gif

According to the paper http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/full/10.1108/00368790010352691:

Quote:
the PAO-based full synthetic
SAE 5W40 (I) produced an average wear rate
per cold start cycle which was approximately
70 per cent lower than that of the VTC
reference

Quote:
It can be seen that there is a relationship
between lower oil viscosities and shorter
oil gallery pressure rise times, i.e. improved
pumpability. This trend is reflected in
lower cylinder wear rates per cold cycle.

I suspect that because, thought engines are positive displacement pumps, they are not perfect, nor is the system fully primed before first pump.

Quote:
Low viscosity full synthetic PAO-based
SAE 5W40 oils showed distinct benefits in
pumpability and lower relative wear rates
when compared not only to SAE 15WX/
10WX full mineral and part synthetic oils but
also to an SAE 5W40 grade oil based on
VHVI base stocks.

These tests were on a derv HD engine at -20C temperature, no indication of how they would transfer to higher temperatures.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
TexasVaquero said:
0x20 can get to all parts of the engine quicker and lube quicker, so use it.

Wrooooooooooong[/quot
40wt oil will flow to the cam area slower in very cold temps than a 0-20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWiQyR7PWII

The OP is in Seattle, he doesn't need 0W oils, he could use 5W or 10W-Xx oils and be perfectly ok.

That doesn't matter. Thick oils still flow slower in very cold temps than 0-20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back