Short pad life, 28K

2 years ago almost to the day, I pad slapped my friends '98 Accord LX @112K miles. The rotors were fine.
Cindy told me the brakes were grinding, she brought it over today.
FYI, both axle were just replaced; they were the originals. Deiver's side had lotsa grease all over. Sheesh.
Sure enough, the pads were worn evenly but were shot. Really shot!
The driver's side was grinding the rotor.

I disremember what pads I used 2 years ago.
Replaced pads and rotors with Centric from BuyBrakes.com.

4ish years ago I helped my roommate do the brakes on his 08 Escape. A month ago his car failed inspection and one of the things they said was the front rotors were too rusty. I remember them being kinda rusty when we did his AC compressor last summer but I didn't think they were that bad. I didn't even know you could fail inspection for rusty brakes. And yeah, ceramic pads definitely last longer.

I personally pick pads that I like the feel of and don't care about dust or life. 28k would be about average for my 2003 Accord when I was driving it.
I was in sales and drove an Honda Accord for business. I averaged 125 to 150 miles a day. I never got more than 30,000 miles on a set of brakes-frequently less.

I was in sales and drove an Honda Accord for business. I averaged 125 to 150 miles a day. I never got more than 30,000 miles on a set of brakes-frequently less.
Rear pads last forever though, I'd have to dig back through my records, but at 265k I don't think there have been more than 2 or 3 sets of rear pads. I think it is still on the same rotors as well, have to check that though.

Rear pads last forever though, I'd have to dig back through my records, but at 265k I don't think there have been more than 2 or 3 sets of rear pads. I think it is still on the same rotors as well, have to check that though.
I would agree that the rear pads last much longer. Conversely-it's probably why Accords are front brake eaters.

I almost never replace front pads due to wear. Not on Honda's. Usually the rotors are warped/vibrating long before the pads are worn out.

I almost never replace front pads due to wear. Not on Honda's. Usually the rotors are warped/vibrating long before the pads are worn out.
I've actually had really good luck with the Centric rotors. They last at least through a set of pads. They've historically been cheap enough to just replace with every pad job, usually by that time they are heat cracked, but no vibrations.

Again, this is just me though. I tended to drive that car a lot harder than the average person. Now that the wife is driving it, tires, brakes, and rotors will probably double their lifespan.

I have seen someone go thru quality pads in 10k miles, this was extreme and was attributed to aggressive braking practices and judicious acceleration resulting in excessive traction control operation.

Much depends on driving environment and habits.

Brake jobs always last longer if you don't call your work "pad slap" (regardless of what you actually performed):

"The most common cause of noise complaints, wear, etc. occurs when a mechanic does a “pad slap,” which means that he replaces the brake pad without spending the additional time to address rotors, lubricant, and not replace the shims, anti-rattle clips and rubber insulation parts needed to dampen noise."

Why is that the case (with Honda’s)? I do not disagree. My Odyssey has gone thru many sets of front brakes and I’ve thrown out “good” brake pads due to the vibrating rotors. Although the last set installed (Raybestos Element3 EHT) seem to be lasting longer than usual.

Why is that the case (with Honda’s)? I do not disagree. My Odyssey has gone thru many sets of front brakes and I’ve thrown out “good” brake pads due to the vibrating rotors. Although the last set installed (Raybestos Element3 EHT) seem to be lasting longer than usual.
Because they should have put slightly larger brakes on them. My TL has doesn't have that problem, but it has slightly larger rotors to deal with the heavy car....Brembo 4 piston calipers too, but that's not the reason the rotors hold up better. My 2003 V6 sedan should have come factory with the same brakes they put on the 2 door V6 6 speed models, but they didn't.

Didn't really see this problem so much up to the 'new' 2003 models that got porkier than the previous versions, being as the Odyssey's were just a big cab slapped on top of the sedan platform (for the most part) they got the worst end of the deal being WAY heavier than the cars and with the same basic underpinnings.

Last edited:
Crossovers and regular communter cars of all makes have tiny brakes for the weights of these vehicle nowadays. That and driving style is the main issue. Half the drivers on the road seem to be in a big hurry to reach red lights as fast as possible for some reason.

I have a manual Scion Tc with tiny brakes for the weight of the car and a few autox events under its belt. They were maybe 80% life 10k miles ago and they are still well above halfway when I check this past weekend and I would be whats considered an aggressive driver. Reading the flow of traffic/lights and engine braking saves brakes, in snowy conditions I can sometimes slow the car from 50mph to around 15-20mph in a reasonably short distance without touching the brakes.

Brake jobs always last longer if you don't call your work "pad slap" (regardless of what you actually performed):

"The most common cause of noise complaints, wear, etc. occurs when a mechanic does a “pad slap,” which means that he replaces the brake pad without spending the additional time to address rotors, lubricant, and not replace the shims, anti-rattle clips and rubber insulation parts needed to dampen noise."
Those things matter, but not as much as you would think...especially out here. Our calipers do not rust (generally), rust does not grow between the clips and the bracket, slide pins still have grease after 10 years, etc. So, just a pad slap will often keep brakes functioning for as long as the original set.
I think the brakes are just undersized.

Last edited:
Well, I don't buy cheap brake parts, which is why I am kinda baffled.
The pads were all evenly worn, which generally means new hardware, proper prep and lube.
I happen to like the term, "pad slap". Ha!
I looked up the R/A order; I used Raybestos Element3; Hybrid Technology; Includes Hardware.

I ran outta gas, so I did not flush the brake fluid, but that is on the list. So is a P/S pump; this one is starting to leak a little.
Oil change, brakes, plugs and securing the plastic under car panel which was all wongo.

Last edited:
Did you by chance check to see if the front brake system is trapping pressure? Like the residual valve stuck or have some crud in it?

4ish years ago I helped my roommate do the brakes on his 08 Escape. A month ago his car failed inspection and one of the things they said was the front rotors were too rusty. I remember them being kinda rusty when we did his AC compressor last summer but I didn't think they were that bad. I didn't even know you could fail inspection for rusty brakes. And yeah, ceramic pads definitely last longer.
If the rust on the brake rotor is significantly decreasing the pad contact area, I could see that failing. I regularly see the inboard side of rotors down by 1/2 or more of a normal contact path.

Back