Short pad life, 28K

my EBC yellow pads on my 2011 fronty are almost gone in 25 thou BUT braking is soooo much better than the longer lasting OEones!!! i live in a hilly area + do shorter drive + haul some coal. like tyres there are choices of wear or function!! harder long lasting pads can wear rotors that cost more faster! you could prolly rack up miles on a steady highway drive with little brake wear, so miles are a poor judge IMO

Last edited:
My ebc redstuff pads are on a fairly heavy car considering it’s GT classification. So far I have 50,000 miles on them with about 30% of the friction material left. Still, am just waiting for some nicer weather to change them.

I’ve used the ebc redstuff pads on many performance classic cars. They are a substantial performance upgrade over the stock & OEM pads.

Rotors still looking and feeling good too.

Z

Did you by chance check to see if the front brake system is trapping pressure? Like the residual valve stuck or have some crud in it?
No, the braking seemed normal, but I cannot say for sure.
If the rust on the brake rotor is significantly decreasing the pad contact area, I could see that failing. I regularly see the inboard side of rotors down by 1/2 or more of a normal contact path.
Rust is not an issue around here. Plus, I wire brushed and lubed everything 2 years ago. Yesterday there was far more dust and dirt than rust. Prep was minimal.

I have been using Wagner Thermo-Quiets for years on my vehicles.
I replaced the front pads on my 07 F150 with WTQ at 92K miles. Currently 167K miles and they still look brand new (over 3/4 of the pad remaining). And virtually no dust on the wheels.
The rear, at 120K miles. They still look like they were just put on yesterday.

Rear pads last forever though, I'd have to dig back through my records, but at 265k I don't think there have been more than 2 or 3 sets of rear pads. I think it is still on the same rotors as well, have to check that though.
Of course that depends on the car, etc. While the fronts see much more brake applied the rear pads on my ride have much less surface area and do indeed wear a bit faster than the front. Actually the 1st vehicle I've ever had in which the rears do wear faster and simply due to design. I swapped out the OEM pads around the 45K mark and they had some life left in them, but wasn't gonna push it. I replaced them with Akebono ProACTs and they've been fantastic... actually took a close look at them 1 week ago as they have around 45K on them and I plan to push them at least another 20K then will swap out for another set of the same and rotors as well.

Of course that depends on the car, etc. While the fronts see much more brake applied the rear pads on my ride have much less surface area and do indeed wear a bit faster than the front. Actually the 1st vehicle I've ever had in which the rears do wear faster and simply due to design. I swapped out the OEM pads around the 45K mark and they had some life left in them, but wasn't gonna push it. I replaced them with Akebono ProACTs and they've been fantastic... actually took a close look at them 1 week ago as they have around 45K on them and I plan to push them at least another 20K then will swap out for another set of the same and rotors as well.
Should have amended that.... 7th gen Accord/4th Gen TL, and whatever gen Oddysey, rear pads last a good long time.

Because they should have put slightly larger brakes on them. My TL has doesn't have that problem, but it has slightly larger rotors to deal with the heavy car....Brembo 4 piston calipers too, but that's not the reason the rotors hold up better. My 2003 V6 sedan should have come factory with the same brakes they put on the 2 door V6 6 speed models, but they didn't.

Didn't really see this problem so much up to the 'new' 2003 models that got porkier than the previous versions, being as the Odyssey's were just a big cab slapped on top of the sedan platform (for the most part) they got the worst end of the deal being WAY heavier than the cars and with the same basic underpinnings.

And under braking, the high centre of gravity on an Odyssey vs an Accord means the load transfers to the front even more. Whatever braking the rears did, it'll likely have to be reduced further under medium-heavy braking.

most vehicles have front brake bias of course, as you brake weight transfers to front!!

Back