Short filter?

Recently bought a 2000 Chevy Silverado with the 4.8 liter engine. I went to the parts store to get a filter the other day. I have always used AC delco on my trucks. Anyway the filter I was given was the PF46E. Same size as the one on my kohler lawnmower engine. How can a V8 engine use such a small filter? I hear some guys are using the pf61e on these engines. Should I stick with the short one or go with the longer or does it make much difference?

It probably doesn't make a difference

Anyway, nothing is stopping you from using the PF61E or even the UPF61R :sneaky:

Fram has both a short and long filter, and Wix still calls for a long filter for your truck.

How is the filter mounted? Is it on the bottom, at the top, or on the side of the engine? Maybe the shorter filter is better if it's mounted at the bottom of the engine, or if access is tight :unsure:

Filter is mounted vertically on the bottom. Super easy to get to.

I'm sure it doesn't make a difference, there's millions of vehicles on the roads that have been serviced no where but quick lube places that only use "universal" filters which generally means that you'll get a shorter filter if it'll fit on you car, I wouldn't worry about it if it's already installed. I've noticed that when I was looking for a Fram Ultra that fits the 02-04 trailblazer that no one stocks the longer fram ultra anymore, but they have a longer one that fits the 05-09 Trailblazer which will work on the 02-04 Trailblazer and other engines like your 4.8 that spec that size and thread of filter, the XG3675 is the part that's supposed to fit them but the XG9837 will work fine in it's place, the normal difference between the PH9837 and PH3675 is that the 3675 has an ADBV while the 9837 does not, since all Fram Ultra filters have an ADBV as part of their design the XG9837 is an appropriate replacement for an XG3675 but the PH9837 and TG9837 are not.

On my 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban that my brother now has (currently sidelined due to a rusty brake line or failed wheel cylinder), the 454 V8 has two filters available to use on it: AC Delco PF1218 or the PF454. The latter is a short filter (81 mm per RockAuto), and for a reason.

The long filter is a PITA to manipulate in and out of the mounting area, where the short one gets in easier. I got the long filter figuring it’s a big engine so go with the big filter. Nope. It went on, but it’s going to be a mess coming out.

Instead I will stock the shorter ones for it when it is back in use (one of my next projects, behind a thrashed Crown Vic I got back after selling it last year and not in my sig, and an engine swap on my mom’s garden tractor). 😎

PF46E is OE. Lawn mowers use car sized oil filters. One of my riding lawn mowers takes a honda filter and the other a toyota d3/g2

PF46E is OE. Lawn mowers use car sized oil filters. One of my riding lawn mowers takes a honda filter and the other a toyota d3/g2
I’ll just stick with the short ones. I don’t know why but in my mind I think bigger engine bigger oil filter. Even AC delcos website says the shorter one. Guess their engineers know more about it then I do 🤷‍♂️

i just put a Motorcraft FL-400S on my 2.0 litre engine that calls for a shorter FL-910S. Given filters are too small these days Ill take a 30% larger unit - especially in the Winter.
I wouldn't run an E-core filter. Media pleats are too shallow and the plastic core tube cage can cut the paper.
Alternatives , I don't know.

They finally figured out that you don’t need a filter the size of a coffee can to do the job. My Mazda has a very small filter, around 2” by 3”.

They finally figured out that you don’t need a filter the size of a coffee can to do the job. My Mazda has a very small filter, around 2” by 3”.
I still promote the employment of a filter at least the size of a soup can :)

I have had nothing but problems up north here across the Winter with small high efficiency oil filters the past couple decades.
I was happy with my lease VW that had a decent sized Mann filter on there, No cold start racket with that puppy and VW super- watery 508/509 0W20.

I still promote the employment of a filter at least the size of a soup can :)

I have had nothing but problems up north here across the Winter with small high efficiency oil filters the past couple decades.
I was happy with my lease VW that had a decent sized Mann filter on there, No cold start racket with that puppy and VW super- watery 508/509 0W20.
What problems have you had? I’m in Ohio

The dirt holding capacity varies a lot between filters even of the same physical size. I think that's all there is to be cncerned about, if you are filling up the filter and it goes into bypass.

The OE filter on your 2000 would have been PF59, a longer filter with ADBV. The little filters came in a few years later, and it seems like parts catalogs have all consolidated to that size.

When PF59 was discontinued, PF61 (or maybe 63?) was a same-size alternative with no ADBV. That was before the E-core version.

I started using Wix 51522/Napa Gold 1522 when my PF59 stash ran out. Those are the original size but have a silicone ADBV. The Fram 3675 filters also cross to PF59, but they're about a half-inch shorter than Wix.

I have a 2001 with 2WD, so the longer filter is easy to change. I couldn't say about a 4WD.

The OE filter on your 2000 would have been PF59, a longer filter with ADBV. The little filters came in a few years later, and it seems like parts catalogs have all consolidated to that size.

When PF59 was discontinued, PF61 (or maybe 63?) was a same-size alternative with no ADBV. That was before the E-core version.

I started using Wix 51522/Napa Gold 1522 when my PF59 stash ran out. Those are the original size but have a silicone ADBV. The Fram 3675 filters also cross to PF59, but they're about a half-inch shorter than Wix.

I have a 2001 with 2WD, so the longer filter is easy to change. I couldn't say about a 4WD.
Does the e core pf61 have the ADBV?

I had the same reaction to the short filter as you did. Since my truck originally came with the longer one and there's plenty of room for it, I kept using that size. My oil changes have been about 5000 miles and 15 months for awhile, so I like the Wix/NAPA Gold for its silicone ADBV.

Back