Short changing my 160

The last 13 years I’ve always screwed in the dip stick to check the oil level. Come to find out I’m supposed to not screw it in. The oil level was slightly below the middle hash marks. Granted it didn’t cause any harm. Just throwing it out there, lol.

Interesting. Always have to read the manual, even for the simplest of things! if only because nothing should be assumed.

My Camry needs the engine running to check the ATF level, but my CRV needs the engine off. Go figure.

Interesting. Always have to read the manual, even for the simplest of things! if only because nothing should be assumed.

My Camry needs the engine running to check the ATF level, but my CRV needs the engine off. Go figure.
I thought so too when someone mentioned it.

The small Honda engines have an oil slinger that sits at the bottom. Not much risk to the engine until the oil is almost completely gone.

IIRC All Japanese/Chinese small engines need the dipstick threads resting on the fill tube threads and all American small engines require the dipstick to be screwed in.(y)

My three Honda small engines (2 GCV's and one GX) all have a diagram next to the oil fill showing how to check it. I don't believe the older ones had this though.

Back