Dipstick reading different

Installed new oil filter and 2 quarts of synthetic oil . When checking oil level after running the engine the oil level sometimes reads a bit beneath LOW and next check after running engine it'll read FULL or slightly beneath mark . What can be the cause ? Bad oil filter ? Engine is the Briggs & Stratton 22 H.P. twin cylinder engine used for the John Deere D130 . Don't recall this issue before during its 9 year (?) use .

Last edited:
Installed new oil filter and 2 quarts of synthetic oil . When checking oil level after running the engine the oil level sometimes reads a bit beneath LOW and next check after running engine it'll read FULL or slightly beneath mark . What can be the cause ? ...
For many engines, this is normal. When running, the oil pump pumps the oil up into the heads to lubricate the valves (and cam, if it has an overhead cam). After shutting down, it can take several minutes up to maybe half an hour for the oil to flow back down into the pan, depending on the engine and oil viscosity.

If you check the oil right after shutting down the engine, it will measure low because some of the oil is up in the heads and hasn't yet drained back to the pan. This happens with all engines, not just lawnmowers. For example, some people check their car oil while pumping gas, think it's low and add another quart which overfills the engine because the oil wasn't actually low.

Also, hot/cold can also change the dispstick reading to a lesser extent, due to temperature expansion/contraction.

Installed new oil filter and 2 quarts of synthetic oil . When checking oil level after running the engine the oil level sometimes reads a bit beneath LOW and next check after running engine it'll read FULL or slightly beneath mark . What can be the cause ? Bad oil filter ? Engine is the Briggs & Stratton 22 H.P. twin cylinder engine used for the John Deere D130 . Don't recall this issue before during its 9 year (?) use .
Check the level cold before starting after the engine has sat overnight.. That will give you the most accurate level.

Check the level cold before starting after the engine has sat overnight.. That will give you the most accurate level.
the most accurate level is to get engine to operating temperature and the park on a level surface and wait 15 min. this is how most manuals tell you how to accurately check the oil. (oil expands as it heats up)

In my experience these B&S V-Twins need to sit on a level surface for two days before you can get an accurate oil level reading. I recall adding oil after a run, only to find the engine overfilled before the next run. Check your oil beforte each run, not after.

the most accurate level is to get engine to operating temperature and the park on a level surface and wait 15 min. this is how most manuals tell you how to accurately check the oil. (oil expands as it heats up)
I disagree. This isn't checked like a transmission requiring the oil being hot. The internal surfaces of the crankcase will coated with hot oil and not in the sump. That would variable and I can't see how a reliable reading could be obtained. The manuals I have read do not specify reading the dipstick hot. Nothing wrong with that but it's not the most accurate way to do so.

I disagree. This isn't checked like a transmission requiring the oil being hot. The internal surfaces of the crankcase will coated with hot oil and not in the sump. That would variable and I can't see how a reliable reading could be obtained. The manuals I have read do not specify reading the dipstick hot. Nothing wrong with that but it's not the most accurate way to do so.
:confused:

Did the oil filter you used have a drain back valve.
Yes , it's in the video . Parts at 6:22 . It's black Nitrile .

IMG_0570.JPG

Last edited:
I usually check it when it's sat for a week before starting to mow . If not , place on level ground and let it sit 10 minutes or so between running the engine for 5 minutes or more .

Last edited:
I usually check it when it's sat for a week before starting to mow . If not , place on level ground and let it sit 10 minutes or so between running the engine for 5 minutes or more .
Your first sentence is the better way.

The oil is close to 2 quarts of P.P. 5w-30 ( S.P. ) . Next O.C. may use 10w-30 or 5w-40 .

The oil is close to 2 quarts of P.P. 5w-30 ( S.P. ) . Next O.C. may use 10w-30 or 5w-40 .
Oops , it's a blend of 1+3/4 quarts of SHELL Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30 and 1/4 is PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-30 .

Last edited:
Back