How would you break-in a new tractor engine?

It's a Briggs & Stratton 20 HP V-Twin "Extended Life Engine" with cast iron cylinder liners. Full pressure lube with filter. -What oil/oils would you use during break-in and after? -Frequency of filter changes. -How many "flushes" and # of hours before going over to synthetic oil?

Let is idle a few seconds and put it to work , use a dino or syn. H.D.E.O. of your choice. Watch the first oil change interval and get it done.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
It's a Briggs & Stratton 20 HP V-Twin "Extended Life Engine" with cast iron cylinder liners. Full pressure lube with filter. -What oil/oils would you use during break-in and after? -Frequency of filter changes. -How many "flushes" and # of hours before going over to synthetic oil?
I bought a new John Deere with a B&S engine in August of 2008. When they were getting it ready for me to take home, the service manager at the dealership said it was filled with a John Deere spec 10W-30 synthetic. He said I should change the oil and filter at 5 hours. I changed the oil and filter at 5 hours with 10W-40 full synthetic motorcycle oil. I changed oil and filter again at 20 Hours with 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oil. I will change again at 45 hours and every 25 hours for its lifetime. Briggs and Stratton used to recommend that you change to full synthetic at 5 or 8 hours and I think they still do. In most of their engines they recommend 5W-30 synthetic and in a very few 10W-30 synthetic. The John Deere owners manual recommends 10W-40 for my climate so I use 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle because I believe that is the best oil I can use in a small air cooled engine.

JTK

Regardless of what Briggs or Simplicity recommends, I'd do an oil/filter change with a regular 30wt variant, prolly 10w30 around 5hrs and another around 10-20. Next season I'd switch to a HDEO, probably 5w40 and change it along w/ the filter once a season for regular home use.

Here is what I did on a 14 Veguard. I threw it wide oopen and mowed under load. lol I just ran the [censored] out of it because I had no choice at the time. I did change the oil at 5 hours or so but other than that I just ran the [censored] out of it. Im at over 500 hrs on the engine with no issues.

On our JD lawn tractor we did the first change at 8 hours as per JD with a fresh filter and some more JD oil. Then the second change at 16 Hours (8 hours more) because I'm anal like that... Then we went with Amsoil 4 Stroke 10w30 and a JD filter and all has been well!

I'd just step it up gradually to the desired OCI, but I wouldn't run the first change for any less time than what B&S recommends. Also, sounds like a great engine.