New life into a garden tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Husqvarna GTH2648 garden tractor. Had a 26 HP Briggs V-Twin that the oil got too low (customer never checked it) and it broke a connecting rod. The old engine had a 1-1/8" shaft which had fewer replacement options, but the customer decided to go with this 27 hp Briggs Commercial Power V-Twin, 810cc.

I have to say so far I'm impressed with this engine. Seems well built, smooth, and very powerful. The engine shroud also has compartments on the side of the air filter that open up to make it really easy to clean out mouse nests in the engine cooling fins, which I really like.

I'm running Traveller 15w40 and the Briggs filter it came with for break-in. After that probably going to use Napa 15w40 and a Wix filter like everything else.
thumbsup2.gif

Pic of the engine mounted:

[Linked Image]

I did the same thing on my zero turn 4 years ago.
I got the exact engine you did.
I am getting close to 300 hours and it is running great.
It used a little oil the first 100 hours - not much.

Will your hood fit on that engine?

Originally Posted by gman2304
Looks great. Is that a canister air filter on top?

It is, and it seems to fit better than the old panel style ones. I'll post more pics tomorrow.

Originally Posted by sweezy722
I did the same thing on my zero turn 4 years ago.
I got the exact engine you did.
I am getting close to 300 hours and it is running great.
It used a little oil the first 100 hours - not much.

Will your hood fit on that engine?

Good to hear! Yes the hood and everything fits perfect. I had the hood off just to make mounting the engine easier and so I could fix the wiring for the lights. It has a 48" deck and when engaging the deck the engine RPM didn't even change a bit, this thing has torque! I'm hoping the owner will be a bit more careful maintaining a proper oil level this time around.

Whats the bill to the customer? $1350? Ouch.

Id put a $150 used engine on it myself. Like a Kohler command off an old Craftsman mower.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Whats the bill to the customer? $1350? Ouch.

Id put a $150 used engine on it myself. Like a Kohler command off an old Craftsman mower.

No doubt. The cost of the new engine is more than that rider is probably worth, but that's a tough situation if you had to source a different E-clutch, etc to fit a different output shaft size.

I had that exact same engine in a Husky tractor and loved it. With over 500 hrs when I traded it, it was in tip top shape and never ever failed me in any way. I've heard guys knock them, but I wonder if they ever really used one. Mine started easily, no matter how long it sat, and never seems to work hard at all in the parts of my overgrown yard. I think it's a wise choice.

Wow, that looks good. Where is the engine made?

I have a Kawi engine on my JD garden tractor. It does not look half as good as that.

The bill will come to $1200. The decision was made to re-power the tractor because it is in pretty good shape, and is a heavier duty "garden tractor" with a stronger hydro transmission and 48" deck. He also has the bagger attachment for the mower. He shopped around and a comparable replacement was $3600+ for the size he wanted. If it was mine I would've sourced a used engine (there is an identical engine for $500 on CL right now), but he wanted new for the 2 year warranty.

The engine has a sticker on it saying made in USA, but I'm sure that is the typical "of global and USA parts" like most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back