TVS120 Tecumseh correct oil capacity

Many HONDA and TORO H shafties you do not screw in.

I should never have said MOST - my mistake. I corrected it.

The point I am trying to make is IT DEPENDS and some manuals are not clear.
DO not assume. Do not go by google linked Youtube videos.

I experienced this rampant misinformation with my current batch of ODPE.

Here is a HONDA MANUAL example:

I should have specified vertical crankshaft engines, which is what the OP has. You are correct. On many horizontal crankshaft engines you DO NOT thread the dipstick in to check the oil level.

I see various oil capacities listed. My Operator manual lists 21 ounces. That amount puts the level almost 1 inch high on the dip stick. (I screw the dipstick in) Today I put in 16 ounces, ran the mower and checked it at the normal mark or at the upper end of the hash marks. Should I start at say 13 and gradually add by the ounce?
Thanks for all the tips! Too bad we evidently have out lived the old Tecumseh mechanics. This has been a standby mower since 1991. Hardly ever used it until recently. Called it Emerald Gem. Started it up now and then. Sort of wall art in my garage.

Last edited:
That's Honda, not his Tecumseh. Dipstick is to be screwed in to check oil level.
Correct Lubener, I posted a link to the shop manual for his engine on post #14. His engine you screw in the dipstick.

Most guys think you ALWAYS screw in the dip stick to check level which is not true. There are incorrect level checking videos on YT. "Rules of thumb" are no good here.
Safest bet IMO, is to install the shop manual qty of oil. If you left an ounce of old oil in there - or even two - because you drained it improperly and incompletely, it will still be be o.k. Sometimes pulling the cord kicks another ounce out.

You just shouldn't overfill small capacity ODPE by a pint - or even a cup. - Ken

Back