Shop press

I've spent months comparing them online, Talking with other shop owners & mechanics along with 25+ years I have using different ones.....They were usually well worn 10-12 Ton models with a Bottle Jack & bent guide pins.

The nicest one I've ever used was a Electric over Hydraulic 50 Ton Dake, Even a hand-pump operated 50 Ton Dake is more than I want to spend at @ $5,000.

Trying to find a good used one seems to be impossible outside of driving 1000 miles to pick one up.

I really liked the Redline 75 Ton Air over Hydraulic per the video below, Had a winch operated Carriage which is a absolute must for me as I've wasted too much time in the past raising & lowering Carriages like a Caveman.

Called Redline ready to make the purchase, We got into an argument over the shipping, Even though I'm zoned as Industrial & have a Fork Truck to offload it on the street.....Because there's a house on the property, I have to pay an extra $100. Wasn't really about the money but the snotty attitude & no real reason why a house being on the property mattered. I purposely petitioned & was granted a zoning change for issues such as this.

Turns out that Redline doesn't make the press, Baileigh & American Forge & Foundry also brand the exact same press. Got in contact with JB-Tools in Michigan & they sold me a American Forge & Foundry branded one for $3,680 delivered on a truck with a lift gate & includes the Press Pin Kit at no additional charge.
Redline wanted $3,699 + $199 for the press pin kit + $100 FU charge + Tax

Redline one HERE
JB-Tools one HERE (price went up quite a bit in the last week)

Redline video.......

Nice 👍. At school we had a air powered one man it was so much better than having to crank down a manual hydraulic one. It was American Forge and Foundry brand as well. Before that we had an old Harbor Freight one. At my current shop it’s Harbor Freight also. I hate not having the luxury of using the air powered one anymore. Is yours Chinese made? Ours was. Not saying anything bad because it was a heck of a press, I’m just asking.

I used to have a press with a traversing head, great when you can't get something centered on the bed, or when you need to straighten something. I once used a powered press, it was huge, and was too easy to over power something, a touch of a button too far. Cranking by hand gives you a better idea of how much force is going into something.

.They were usually well worn 10-12 Ton models with a Bottle Jack & bent guide pins.

Yeah that's what we have out back...

So you bought one of these? Gotta say, sexy.

Have to not let my dad see this thread or he'll sell off more of mom's 401k money for one... ;)

price gouging is common lately with many things, maybe because of the "free" money the government has been giving out!!

price gouging is common lately with many things, maybe because of the "free" money the government has been giving out!!
It's a shipping scam that has been in place for years. I faced the same upcharge when I had a dressed crate Colorado engine shipped to me about 7 years ago. To avoid the fee I had the engine delivered to a storage facility i had a unit at a block away from my house.

I got this 20 ton model including 2 press plates from Big Lots 20 years ago for $200. Still works fine. How much better are the $1000 and up models?

51SdvTZUGfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I got this 20 ton model including 2 press plates from Big Lots 20 years ago for $200. Still works fine. How much better are the $1000 and up models?

Take it up near it's rated capacity & you'll find out ;), They just don't hold up to certain jobs & I question the ratings.....Just because you have a 20 Ton bottle jack on it doesn't mean the rest of the press is up to the task.

Though I'm not familiar with the design in your picture.....I'm used to the ones with 2 guide pins, Like pictured. They're the first things to get bent.

AQSkScH.jpg

I used to have a press with a traversing head, great when you can't get something centered on the bed, or when you need to straighten something. I once used a powered press, it was huge, and was too easy to over power something, a touch of a button too far. Cranking by hand gives you a better idea of how much force is going into something.

This one also has a manual pump lever, Looked to have good control with air in the video though.....Guess I'll find out.

All these nice presses, I thought I'd show you what I use these days. This is all hand built, stick and gas welded, before there was a MIG or TIG in the shop. The oil reservoir is made out of tubing, looks like the ram is even home made. We are a rural shop, so not only do we press in and out wheel bearings and suspension bushes, but we work on trucks, tractors and agricultural equipment...and we do it all on this. Sometimes I think, uh oh, this is going to be a problem, but this thing always does the job. We do engineering work too, so a good stock of tube, bar etc, and a lathe, so we can make any adapters.

IMG_20210507_131506.jpg
IMG_20210507_152954.jpg

Those old timers are great, I had an old Manley that was way too big for what I need now (it came out of a commercial machine shop). I replaced it with a smaller TCE air/hydraulic, its Chicom made (Torin company) but its not bad for the money.

Take it up near it's rated capacity & you'll find out ;), They just don't hold up to certain jobs & I question the ratings.....Just because you have a 20 Ton bottle jack on it doesn't mean the rest of the press is up to the task.

Though I'm not familiar with the design in your picture.....I'm used to the ones with 2 guide pins, Like pictured. They're the first things to get bent.

AQSkScH.jpg
Time is money for guys like Cline. You don't want any downtime from cheap stuff that will be used many times in a week.

Post some pics when you get it installed in the shop.

I really like the press, Has High Volume/Low Pressure & Low Volume/High Pressure manual pumps/handles, The air foot switch has good control & feel to it.

Got to buy a Ball Valve & some 3/8" Hydraulic hose to plumb the foot switch to my compressor permanent & get rid of the whip & disconnect.

WdTANlv.jpg

LHfD6GU.jpg

xGhkyht.jpg

Back