Shoddy PureOnes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 4 PurOnes, last night from AAP using the $10off $25 purchase. They ended up costing $3.99 each. I took the only 4 they had.

Went home and inspected them:

One had a nice size metal splinter left over where the theads are.

One had a grippy paint glob on the bottom of the can where the oil inlet holes are. I had to scrape it off for a few minutes careful not to get it in the filter.

All of them had paint speckles on the rubber washer that seals the filter to your engine. I had to wipe those down.

I feel like everything is cheaping out. Companies only seem care about turning a a buck and dont give a [censored] about quality control. I am not saying I will never use a PureOne again I just not impressed. May have to stick with my WIX. Bottom line is w/out inspecting and cleaning these you would be putting all kinds of [censored] in your engine.

I almost forgot to mention the last batch I bought before these. When PureOnes first because the yellow color. The earlier versions of this filter had like gold glitter in the paint, that glitter was all over the inside of the filter and I took them back. Atleast they got rid of that glitter [censored].

Well that is enough of my mini rant, just had to say something because I was PO'ed wabout the QA of these suckers.

I've been ranting about these problems with Purolator for a long time here.

I recently bought some regular Purolators in the new box, and they looked better as far as quality control. There is less paint peeling, and the threads were much cleaner. I think the sale to Bosch has helped the quality, although I did buy a Bosch filter in which the leaf spring inside was upside down, and the contents of the filter were loosely shaking around inside! Now one of my OCD things is to shake the filter to make sure everything's snug inside.

I've been saying that. When you are back in AAP take a look at the cartridge pureones. Some have glue all over the filter media or unglued ends. I found a non-US premium plus and it actually looked better then the US made pure one.

I've had a few of the regular Premium Plus filters that had white flaking paint, but I really wouldn't worry about something so minor.

That's really odd. I've never had an issue with any Purolator I've ever used. Be it a Quaker State, Premium Plus, PureOne, Bosch or ProLine. It's disappointing to hear about these defects because they're my personal favorite for oil filters...

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
That's really odd. I've never had an issue with any Purolator I've ever used. Be it a Quaker State, Premium Plus, PureOne, Bosch or ProLine. It's disappointing to hear about these defects because they're my personal favorite for oil filters...
+1, and add Motorcraft and AAP Total Grip to that list. That said, it seems they have a solid CS dept. demarpaint either emailed or wrote regarding the new gold filter, returned his filters and they gave him new ones. Can't ask for much more.
21.gif

IMO, and as has been said here, all companies have some rotten (or broken) eggs occasionally. Contact Puro, can't hurt. Also, never hurts to check inside the box first.

My first attempt at using a Purolator product was in the late 90s. It was an air filter for my 1997 F150. It was the cone style construction. For some reason I held it up to the sunlight and observed that about half the pleats were not glued together at the end of the filter. As I was in the parking lot of the store, I took it back; tried to exchange it but found that all of them had the same issue.

After hearing about how good the PureOne filter was supposed to be, I bought two for my 2006 Jeep Wrangler. After 1,000 or so miles now every morning I get to listen to the engine rattle as the ADBV isn’t holding.

Two strikes and they are out in my book, I’m going back to Donaldson and Fleetguard.

I called them twice at 20 minutes to 5:00PM their time and both times they simply hung up the phone. The phone rang, it was picked up, and then hung up with no words excanged by me or the person answering the phone. GREAT customer service!

Last edited:
I guess I've been lucky with my Pure One filters, no issues at all. Early on the new Puke Colored Pure One filters had some paint issues. A phone call took care of that, and the filters I have now along with what I've seen are very good. Their customer service was tops, they paid for me to return about 10+/- filters and shipped 10+/- replacement filters w/o issue. YMMV

Out of all the Wix and EAO's I have bought, not one had a problem... I have seen ratting parts, metal filings, and media fiber chunks in Fram filters that my dad has used on his van and it's still running after 300K KM so I don't think it's too much to be worried about if you were to miss it, but if you catch it I would definitely call the company and complain.
thumbsup2.gif

Wix, EaO and Mobil 1 EP are the only oil filters that I use. I just wish that all oil filters came packaged in shrink wrap to keep dust and moisture out during transport and storage. Even the lowly Honda OEM A02 oil filter is packaged in shrink wrap.

Originally Posted By: Lyondellic
Wix, EaO and Mobil 1 EP are the only oil filters that I use. I just wish that all oil filters came packaged in shrink wrap to keep dust and moisture out during transport and storage. Even the lowly Honda OEM A02 oil filter is packaged in shrink wrap.
That's another reason I like the EAO's!

Last fall I bought my first Pure 1 that was painted yellow and it was fine as I always inspect before buying. But thanks for this heads up.

I thought some of the "higher end" frams were in shrink wrap.

I bought 2 advance auto "total grips" and that sandpaper-y coating comes off easy, it was all over the inlet holes and rubber gasket! [censored]?

I ALWAYS inspect the oil filters BEFORE I buy them and take them home. Nothing worse (and a PIA) then finding messed up products after you get them home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back