Shock and Strut Recommendation

I have a 2006 Sentra with 163k miles on the od. The struts and shock are original and overdue for replacement. I'm going strut assembly units for the front. Simply because a friend that is a mechanic will do the install for a few dollars and a good, sit down lunch :) I'm looking to purchase off RockAuto. Question is:

Monroe
Gabriel
KYB

They are all relatively close in price. One recommended over the other? Same question on brand for the rear shocks.

Another question, strut tower brace is referring to the metal bar that links the strut tower together for additional rigidity? Aftermarket part correct? I want to make sure I'm not confusing this.

I just installed KYB’s in my Taurus. No complaints but one of the upper mounting bolts was free to slide in the hole of the plate. If so, lock it into place with some silicone because there is not much room to push the loose bolt in place after it’s in position.

Strong consensus of KYB! KYB it shall be! I definitely don't want a mushy ride. I kinda have that already with them pretty well worn :ROFLMAO:

I have kyb on the elantra. I don't know if it's the pirelli P4 or the kyb struts but it rides hard. If it rides hard after new tires , I'm going monroe.

I have a 2006 Sentra with 163k miles on the od. The struts and shock are original and overdue for replacement. I'm going strut assembly units for the front. Simply because a friend that is a mechanic will do the install for a few dollars and a good, sit down lunch :) I'm looking to purchase off RockAuto. Question is:

Monroe
Gabriel
KYB

They are all relatively close in price. One recommended over the other? Same question on brand for the rear shocks.

Another question, strut tower brace is referring to the metal bar that links the strut tower together for additional rigidity? Aftermarket part correct? I want to make sure I'm not confusing this.
Checkout the sensen brand

I believe both Monroe and KYB both have lifetime warranties on the struts. I've heard it's a toss up between the two brands. Monroe sells a lot more than KYB so you hear the same proportion of complaints regarding both brands. Some of the cheaper brands mentioned might only have a one year warranty. I started swapping out my Monroe's after 50-70k due to their lifetime warranty. They always rode better with new struts especially when you have a mechanic that doesn't charge that much to install new ones.

I generally buy from Autozone since I use aftermarket/sports springs on my struts and like the lifetime warranty. I used to do Gabriels and had good life and ride quality out of them. Sadly they no longer carry gabriel struts and only do loaded struts in store, however, I can still order they KYB's through them. I had to get them the last time around as I didn't want to have to disassemble/reassemble struts multiple times just to do one strut change. I like the KYB's. The ride isn't quite as smooth, but they do work and it is far better than blown struts. I do not know how they will hold up to stiffer aftermarket springs however.

I personally have not had the best of luck with Monroe struts, but I would buy them before I purchased a loaded as long as they provided a lifetime warranty.

Back