Shimano brakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I cant say enough good about them.

Came from Avid Elixir CR on my 26" to base model shimano on my 29er. I like the shimanos in every way, and feel they stop better, roll better, scrape on the pad less, etc.

The only redeeming benefit for the elexir was that mine (carbon top of the line) let me move the pads in and out against the disc to adjust the throw.

But I have to say that if youre looking for MTB disc brakes, I like shimano best!

Good to hear! Do you have any experience with the avid juicy threes? If you do how do these compare?

The Juicy 5 is a better buy if you can swing it (versus the 3). Grab a lightly used or "last year's version" if you can. The 5 is lighter and more adjustable. It also has more fail-safes in case you take a spill.

The 7 has an adjustable bite point, which is cool too.

Wife has the 3 or 5. Fine brake, not much modulation but easy to get a lot of power.

Ok cool...I ride a Gary fisher hoo koo e koo and it has avid juicy 3s...I have no complaints but then again I have nothing to compare them to. I'm glad u like the shimanos I will keep that in mind if I'm going to upgrade.

I actually have all....campy.

On my Dad's gitane, Mafacs
wink.gif
. French and Italian.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
I actually have all....campy.

On my Dad's gitane, Mafacs
wink.gif
. French and Italian.

Didn't think they made MTB stuff?

Shimano I think has the best feeling brakes.
The one thing I am surprised at though, is that your Elixir's feel underpowered or not as powerful. I have Elixir R's (200mm rotors though) on my SX Trail and they are wonderful brakes. I have no intention of touching them any time soon.

One thing I have always disliked about Avids though which you mentioned is that it's very hard to dial them in so there is no rotor drag. Something I can't stand. Once they're set I like to leave them be as much as possible! haha

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Shimano I think has the best feeling brakes.
The one thing I am surprised at though, is that your Elixir's feel underpowered or not as powerful. I have Elixir R's (200mm rotors though) on my SX Trail and they are wonderful brakes. I have no intention of touching them any time soon.

One thing I have always disliked about Avids though which you mentioned is that it's very hard to dial them in so there is no rotor drag. Something I can't stand. Once they're set I like to leave them be as much as possible! haha

No, they were/are powerful. Maybe more so, given that the 26er had 160mm rotors.

But they did have the drag and whatnot that made me also crazy.

Ill say this after doing a good ride today with three other folks - there was a sey to hayes (sp) hydraulic (I think), a set of avid mechanicals, and two avid hydraulics - I think both Juicy 5.

My brakes (low-end hubcentric shimano) were the only ones totally silent. Every other set had some rub and/or some squeal on braking.

I think the hubcentric design also helps prevent warping and crooked rotors - or maybe Shimano just has better QC?

And these shimanos are STRONG! Did some steep stuff down drops over roots, and they really modulated and held well when I needed them to doing down some of this stuff. Large exposed roots + wet leaves can be very much not fun, but it went very well.

So be it, but IMO the hubcentric rotors are better supported to prevent runout and other things that could be associated with "set up".

Im still happy, and given that two of the other bikes were set up by the same business (which have only two mechanics), Im betting there still is more to it than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back